Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Design critiques please

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    ArchDesignLabs
    Participant

I have recently started working on a redesign of http://www.Archdesignlabs.com and would love to know what everyone thinks http://yfrog.com/kkasvcj it’s very much in it’s infancy but the colors palette is basically set. I am graduating from university this year with a duel degree in architecture and business admin and my thesis is over web design and coding influencing the way architects think and design. Let’s say this is the start to thinking about my thesis. Thanks in advance foe the many comments!

OniLinkCR

Ok, first I think the header needs to be altered to something better, that goes hand in hand with your concept. It kills it.

Second, the harsh shadows. I know it’s tempting to use them hard, black and very big (no bad thinking on this comment please..lol) my young-padawan, but you have to go soft, subtle and small. Less is more.

Third, I would add a bit of texture. Noise could do the job.

Other than that, we are good.

ArchDesignLabs
    Participant

The logo is definitely being changed already. haha! I actually did have a question about textures. Where in the world do I get some that are nice and repeating. Texture will definately help because it adds a layer of detail to the design that is lacking. I was trying to make the black seem like is was pulling the other areas back into the page. Your suggesting that maybe the black is too harsh though, right? Overall pretty decent though?

Thank you a ton!

ArchDesignLabs
    Participant

Still looking for more help guys and gals!

OniLinkCR

The textures you can get anywhere, i usually play with blending modes until I get something that I like. Adding noise is easy though, if you know Photoshop. Do you?

Ampitere
    Participant

The logo looks great, but I don’t think it really matches with the colors you’re using for the background and menu.

Also, everything seems to be extremely large, are you zoomed in or is it supposed to look like it’s aimed towards an elderly audience? I really don’t think the text should be as big as it is, the overall design really dwarfs the logo which to me completely ruins it. Try some lighter colors that light up your logo, also try staying away from using so many different colors as the background(s).

If I think of anything else I’ll be sure to throw it at you. If you can update the site and take another picture that would be wonderful.

ArchDesignLabs
    Participant

I definately konw photoshop! So I will give blending and noise a try.

The logo def doesnt match anything but it soon will ;). The fonts are 20 for headings and 14 for the paragraphs but it does seem a little large in comparison. The snapshot is also about 3000px in height as this will scroll to get more information. I will try some new colors and try to tone down the array of colors and see how that works. I should be able to update within the next day or so. Super busy right now.

Thanks guys!

ArchDesignLabs
    Participant

I didnt get but a few min to work on it but how is it looking now? I have 4 colors of gray for now but the intention is too maybe narrow it down to only 3 (header, content, sidebar). You can find the image here http://yfrog.com/h2zdgtej

Thanks again!

chrisburton
    Participant

Too many shades of gray and the shadows just kill the layout. When I look at this, I feel like there a tons of gray pieces thrown together.

On your headings, you have a shadow on the inset.
    Try something like this: http://i51.tinypic.com/71mf6u.png

ArchDesignLabs
    Participant

I feel the same way but I always have problems simplifing. Its ends up looking like the current site. I will definately try the inset I actually really like that and I will still pair down the greys its only 4, but it does seem a little much still. Are there particular shades you feel are working better?

Thanks

OniLinkCR

Go a bit easier on the texture. Not SO pronounced. Easy, soft, subtle. Also, try to make them a bit random.

I agree. I think your color scheme might need to be tweaked a little. Less is better you have dark earth tones and then very bright colors. While accent colors are good you may need to narrow it down a little…then again it depends of your brand and message. I hope this helps =)

ArchDesignLabs
    Participant

Subtle Texture good point. Random… not sure how I will do this haha. I am going to stick with the grey tones for now with splashes of colors as the eye looking at high contrasting colors tends to hurt them a lot. I do have to make sure however that I have enough contrast as to not strain the eyes too. Delicate balance. For an Architecture community the mid tones seem to work the best too. I will keep tweaking the scheme and see what you guys think later in the weekend.

Thank you again!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.