Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS [Solved] customizing 404 error page, centering a box

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    drone4four
    Participant

I’m trying to write a custom 404 error page.

Here is my pen.

It has quite a number of issues. I am trying to center the box vertically and horizontally. I added a bottom and left value of 50% in the centerer element. Here I tried playing around with different variables, increasing and decreasing the bottom and left values. I also tried flipping the position from relative to absolute. I also tried commenting out the transform property. I can’t get it to center. The only thing that works in this element as I intended is the center text-align.

I found a short and concise guide by Chris Coyier titled, “Perfect Full Page Background Image“. It explains a number of different ways to fix a background image properly. I settled with what Chris calls, the “CSS-Only Technique #2” . I am not sure if I succeeded in implementing it properly because my misaligned box is throwing me way off.

Shikkediel
    Participant

Seems to work alright with some minor changes?

Link

drone4four
    Participant

Thank-you @Shikkediel , you fixed my issue.

Shikkediel
    Participant

Cheers, margin in percentages is tricky by the way. The spec defines that it will always be related to the width of the containing block, even for top and bottom margin.

http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/box.html#margin-properties

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.