Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Current Nav Highlighting

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    mwdewitt

I am sorry to ask all of these silly questions all the time, but being new to this, I keep running into problems. Sometimes it is a simple fix, like closing a “ul” tag, and sometimes it is more complicated, like activating the mod_rewrite module, but you guys have always been there to help me out. So, again, I have encountered another problem that I need help with.

In Chris Coyier’s video #36 (Current Nav Highlighting), I followed everything, but it does not seem to be working. Here is the code I have that is relevant to the situation (header.php):

$page = $_SERVER;
    $page = str_replace("/","",$page);
    $page = str_replace(".php","",$page);
    $page = str_replace("?s=","",$page);
    $page = $page ? $page : 'default'
    ?>

And here is my CSS code (style.css):

ul#main-nav li a:hover,
    ul#extra-nav li a:hover,
    body#home ul#main-nav li.home a,
    body#projects ul#main-nav li.projects a,
    body#studio ul#main-nav li.studio a,
    body#forums ul#main-nav li.forums a,
    body#support ul#extra-nav li.support a,
    body#default ul#main-nav li.home a {
    background: #FFFFFF;
    color: #333333;
    }

If you need to see anything else to help me solve why this is not working, just let me know, and I will get back to you as soon as possible. Thank you in advance!

mwdewitt

I hate to bump for bump’s sake, but this is almost on the fourth page and no one has yet attempted to help me on this. I would greatly appreciate any solutions you guys can give me on how to solve this little problem. Thank you!

jamygolden

What does a typical url look like to you? What exactly are you trying to take from the url and put as the body id?

mwdewitt

Well, since I am working locally at the moment, my URL’s look a little something like this:

http://localhost/acidhouse/

Et cetera. What I am trying to do is take the last word in the permalink, so like, let us say there is a “Projects” page with the URL of:

http://localhost/acidhouse/projects/

Then, I want the body id to be simply “projects.” Right? I think that is how this works. And if someone puts in a random string of letters in the URL, it will default to the home page.

mwdewitt

This was almost to the third page again. I feel like jamy_za was trying to help me, but I am obviously not having an epiphany over this. If someone could simply point out what I am doing wrong here, that would be great. Thanks in advance!

mwdewitt

If you watch the video, he talks about how using “current” as the id will not work in this situation. I forget why he says that, but he does. If you want to take a look at the video, it is here:

https://css-tricks.com/video-screencasts/36-current-nav-highlighting-using-php-to-set-the-body-id/

It’s a bit long, but you can skip most of it, if you just want to see how he codes it. I believe I have everything right, but it does not seem to be working, which would suggest that I do not.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.