Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS CSS3 multiple columns question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

I want to make 3 columns and I want to specify what text goes in column 1 , in column 2 and last column , is it possible

How does css3 multiple columns work , How do we specify which text goes in which column

Lets say i want to make 3 columns , First column(contact info) , second column (about Us ), 3rd column (follow us)

How do i do it using css3?

TheDoc

If you don’t want the content to flow from one column to the other you have no reason to use CSS3 columns – you should just create three divs, give them all set widths and float them all left.

jimsilverman

yeah, what @TheDoc said.

css3 columns is meant more for columns within a single piece of content, similar to what you’d see in print formats like newspaper and magazines.

more importantly, it’s safer to stick to a traditional layout with multiple divs (or semantic html5 tags) for content blocks. using css3 columns for your layout would result in a completely broken page in older browsers.

@doc But i found a way to do that using CSS3

we will need a container div and 3 child paragraphs . Next we will add css rules for the container div

#container {
    column-count:3
    and more properties that we have for it

}

And now we will add content in all paragraphs and give it a go , the content will fill in 3 paragraphs exactly as we entered in other words the first para column 1 , second para column 2 , 3rd para column 3

As far browser support is concerned these days everyone has latest browsers if not latest like IE 9.0 , i am sure they will have previous version 8.0

And we can also prefix rules like for mozilla firefox -moz- and -webkit- for others

TheDoc

“As far browser support is concerned these days everyone has latest browsers if not latest like IE 9.0 , i am sure they will have previous version 8.0”

This couldn’t be further from the truth, I’m afraid.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.