Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Css tricks for IE or other browsers ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Kristin2011

I am just starting to build a website for an online store and I noticed that some fo my css is not working on another computer. It worked fine on my computer but it maybe because I have the files on my computer. My navigation on the left side and the mid-center area is not lined up the way I had it. The navigation looks as if it is half way down the page, while the content itself is margined to be centered. Could any one provide any suggestions or help as to how I can fix this for all browsers?

Thanks

Kristin – mibellacreations.com

chrisburton
    Participant

It’s your CSS and has nothing to do with the files being on your computer. And usually websites do not look the same in every browser, especially IE. That’s why we declare an if statement to render a seperate stylesheet for internet explorer.

Kristin2011

How can I do that?

chrisburton
    Participant

I don’t think you need to call a seperate stylesheet for IE. The website is simple enough to code it properly to work and look the same in just about every browser. Of course a few things will look different but nothing major. I’ll try coding it myself and post back with the CSS.

Kristin2011

Thank you for your help.

chrisburton
    Participant

Ok I’m not sure what certain things are or where they go. A few major things need to be cleared up. You shouldn’t use tables unless you are creating some sort of graphing or calendar like things. Half of your HTML can be reduced by taking that out. Also remember to clear all your floats. The good thing is that you have very little content, so this would take about 30 minutes at the least to do, If I were you I would save my previous version and start from scratch. If I had time I would do this all myself. However, I can walk you through it and you can gain learning experience from this.

Basically we can pick apart the previous version by taking the header and footer and pasting that in the new version. We can use the content-wrap and put that in. The rest we create from scratch. Very very simple.

Kristin2011

Thanks again. Where should I begin? Starting from scratch would be no problem.

Kristin2011

My logo was supposed to be on top of everything else in the black box. And the Customer reviews etc… had a yellow box behind it.

Kristin2011

The logo is a .gif transparent image that sits in front of the black on top of the page. And the Customer ReviewsEasy ReturnsAsk How “Free Shipping” is supposed to be ontop of the yellow gradient image that is now directly under the black in the header area.

Kristin2011

Thanks for your help. I’ll continue to write the codes right now and work on the site.

Kristin2011

I haven’t uploaded the changes yet. I am working on the divs for the tables was using for my product lists. But I did have a quick question Here’s my code:

The problem that I am having is that I want the “Hot Apple Pie” name under the “Product Price” as a clickable link. When I write my css, it does not appear where I want it to. And then the price under the name of the scent.

Thanks for all of your help

Kristin2011

Bakery Scents

Price List

Hot Apple Pie

Jerm993

I would also check out chris’s video The Basics: https://css-tricks.com/video-screencasts/58-html-css-the-very-basics/

and there is a good video that i watched many times by jimmyrcom, although it’s kinda lengthy:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwQMnpUsj8I

Kristin2011

Thanks. I got the code to work for me now and everything is positioned the way I wanted it. Well, so far.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.