Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript CSS transitions don't work on newly appended elements.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    nixnerd
    Participant

I’m using jQuery to .append() the DOM with new elements. Now, I’m attempting to use .addClass() to apply transitions via CSS. However, transitions don’t work on newly appended elements… I knew this.

Now, I’m wondering: What’s my best course of action? Should I just animate the elements with jQuery instead of using .addClass()?

nixnerd
    Participant

Sorry. I’ve realized that’s not actually my problem. It’s not that the transition isn’t working. I’m having trouble calling a function.

nixnerd
    Participant

Sorry @Soronbe… I figured it out. Didn’t make that very clear.

My function was structured like this:

$('.phone').on('input', function phoneCheck(){
        // Stuff here...
    )}
    $(document).on('input', '.phone', function phoneCheck(){
        // Stuff here...
    )}
    __
    Participant

Don’t know if you figured this out yet…

If you want to name the function, define it elsewhere and reference the name:

function phoneCheck(){ 
        /*  stuff here  */ 
    }
    $(document).on( 'input', '.phone', phoneCheck );

otherwise, make it an anonymous function:

$(document).on( 'input', '.phone', function(){
        /* do phoneCheck stuff  */
    } );

nixnerd
    Participant

I’ll make them anonymous when I’m finished. But, I’m not sure if I’ll have to ref in another part or not. That’s why I named them.

nixnerd
    Participant

Don’t know if you figured this out yet…

And yes, I got it figured out… well, this part at least :)

__
    Participant

I’ll make them anonymous when I’m finished. But, I’m not sure if I’ll have to ref in another part or not. That’s why I named them.

Either way works. As a side note, I have stopped using named functions entirely in favor of assigning anon functions to variables/ properties.

var phoneCheck = function(){
        /*  do phoneCheck stuff  */
    };

This allows you to reference them, plus is better for modular code (managing dependencies, scope, etc.).

nixnerd
    Participant

Either way works. As a side note, I have stopped using named functions entirely in favor of assigning anon functions to variables/ properties.

You know.. I played around with that method for a bit and couldn’t tell if I liked it… but now that I’m looking at it, I think it will help me solve a problem I have.

*Brain: Store that.

nixnerd
    Participant

I’m in favor of not assigning it to a var OR naming it if I don’t have to! :)

__
    Participant

If you’re only using it once, yeah, no way.

What I realized recently, though, is that how/where I create an anon function (i.e., a closure) has less to do with how/where or how many times I want to use it, and more to do with how I want it to be scoped (i.e., which vars I want it to close around).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.