Get a free trial // Grow your CSS skills // Land your dream job

CSS Roadblocks with WP Genesis Child-Theme Creation

• # December 29, 2012 at 2:48 pm

I’m running into 3 2 roadblacks while attempting to finish development on this concept site.

Here’s the site thus far: [CLICK LINK]( “Mijello Concept WP Site”). And here’s a PasteBin link to the CSS I’ve altered thus far: [PasteBin CSS]( “PasteBin CSS”).

1) For the life of me I can’t figure out a proper way to get my drop-downs to sit nicely underneath the navigation menu _(hover over Chromatics)_. Using line-height on the parent makes the items that are on double lines bigger than they need to be. Using min-height works, but feeds down to the children which is also a no-no.

2) I’ve centered the main title of the site. However something still looks so very off to my eyes. Almost like it’s still a little bit more to the left than it should be. I’m trying to get it done without nudging with padding or margin, but all attempts are failing.

3) The same problem I’m having with the main title also applies to the newly registered menu I’ve created for the footer area. Using XScope I can see that there’s about 230-ish pixels of space on the left, and around 280-ish pixels of space on the right. It’s bugging me so bad.

# December 29, 2012 at 9:29 pm

I can help you with your third issue.
    Your footer **ul** width is being set to 550px, and centered. And the links inside are floating to the left. I would recommend have the **ul** and **li** elements be inline, and have the _text-align_ set to _center_. I changed some of your code. This works well:

#footer .wrap {
    overflow: hidden;
    padding: 10px 15px;
    text-align: center;

#menu-menu-footer {
    margin: 0 auto;
    padding: 0;
    display: inline;

#menu-menu-footer li {
    padding: 0 4px 0;
    border-left: 1px solid black;
    list-style-type: none;
    font-size: 12px;
    display: inline;

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

There's a whole bunch of content on CSS-Tricks.

Search for Stuff   •   Browse the Archives

Get the Newsletter ... or get the RSS feed