- This topic is empty.
July 28, 2012 at 3:06 am #39110diamoMember
I have recently started to learn how to integrate WordPress into Dreamweaver CS5. I have been following the Lynda.com video on the exact topic. There is a problem that arises as I try to follow the exercise files pertaining to the css of thetag in the index.php file. The CSS is AUTOMATICALLY rewritten and becomes inaccessible to edit when you try and change a theme. This is what happens:
1. In WordPress, I activate the Twenty Ten theme.
2. In Dreamweaver, I open the main index.php file, click on Live Code and find the tag and its CSS style. The following link shows the code in the index.php file: http://s11.postimage.org/slbua36cj/Dreamweaver_01.jpg
3. With the tag selected, the CSS rules in the CSS Panel are editable and I can change the background color. The following Image shows this: http://s9.postimage.org/ok6qruyz3/Dreamweaver_02.jpg
4. Then I want to create a custom theme from the Twenty Ten theme, so in Dreamweaver, I find the Twenty Ten folder in wp-content/themes and I Duplicate it. Dreamweaver creates a copy of the folder and I rename it to a name I want for my custom theme. I also rename the style.css file comments so I can identify my new theme.
5. I go into WordPress and activate the new custom them I just created by simply duplicating the Twenty Ten theme.
6. I go into Dreamweaver to open up the index.php, and turn on Live Code so I can make changes to the CSS for the body tag, BUT I can’t!!! Somehow, a new css style has been created called body.custom-background and I have no idea where it came from and it is completely inaccessable to me. Here you can see the new css code that has been created and I cannot find anywhere in the files associated with index.php (It is not in style.css): http://s14.postimage.org/4970x4a5d/Dreamweaver_03.jpg
7. So not only I can;t find where this CSS code came from or where it lives, I simply cannot change this css rule at all as seen in this jpeg: http://s11.postimage.org/xki6qykmb/Dreamweaver_04.jpg
I have searched through all the code associated with index.php and I cannot find where this body.custom-background css style has come from. It was not in the original theme folder and I merely copied that folder and all of a sudden, somehow, it has appeared. Like it was automatically generated or it is hidden somewhere but I have no idea how to find it. Has anyone had a similar issue or can someone explain to me how to get to the bottom of this? I have already spent over 4 hours trying to figure out from where this code comes from and how in the world do I edit it!!
CheersJuly 28, 2012 at 11:31 am #106932marybaumMember
I do all my theming in Dreamweaver. Live code shows you what the browser will render and isn’t editable. If you’ve set up your local install with MAMP or WAMP, as the video show, you should be able to open style.css as you would any other DW file and edit in the code view. Then, if you keep a browser window open with the actual page and refresh as you go, you can see more accurately what you’re doing. (I used to used the Design view set to Live View, but after I upgraded to Lion on the Mac, that started crashing DW. Haven’t tried it again since moving to CS6.)
- The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.