- This topic is empty.
November 5, 2009 at 1:33 pm #26668
So once I heard in a conference that "id" was shorthand for ‘Identifier‘ (yes, that’s kind of obvious :mrgreen:) bu then he said that "class" was shorthand for ‘Classification‘ and not exactly just the word ‘class‘ itself :roll:
If you really think about it, ‘Classification’ makes sense since it helps to define/categorize/classify a specific CSS rule to an HTML element.
Here’s the definition of "Classification" from Dictionary.comQuote:clas?si?fi?ca?tion
/?klæs?f??ke???n/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [klas-uh-fi-key-shuhn]
1. the act of classifying.
2. the result of classifying or being classified.
3. one of the groups or classes into which things may be or have been classified.
4. Biology. the assignment of organisms to groups within a system of categories distinguished by structure, origin, etc. The usual series of categories is phylum (or, esp. in botany, division), class, order, family, genus, species, and variety.
5. the category, as restricted, confidential, secret, or top secret, to which information, a document, etc., is assigned, as by a government or military agency, based on the degree of protection considered necessary to safeguard it from unauthorized use.
6. Library Science. any of various systems for arranging books and other materials, esp. according to subject or format.
Here’s another definition from Dictionary.com as well:Quote:clas·si·fi·ca·tion (kl?s’?-f?-k?’sh?n)
1. The act, process, or result of classifying.
2. A category or class.
I tried searching around the web for this but I found nothing related to this subject.
That’s why I’m asking you if you’ve ever heard something about this.
Thanks,November 5, 2009 at 3:49 pm #66197Rob MacKayParticipant
I don’t get it – what’s your point? lolNovember 5, 2009 at 3:58 pm #66198
My point is that if you’ve heard that ‘class’ is short for ‘classification’, just as ‘id’ is short for ‘identifier’.
I guess trying to go deep in a subject off the bat doesn’t work that well sometimes.November 6, 2009 at 9:01 am #66292
Seems like no one has any idea about this.
- The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.