Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Cross Browser Image Positioning Issue

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    ridgedale

Hi,

I wonder if someone might be able to point out where I’ve gone wrong.

On the home page of the following website:

http://www.nickponting.com

there is an issue with the positioning of a couple of the images if the home page (- all other pages display correctly) is viewed in the following web browsers:

Firefox 4.0b6 MacOSX 10.6.4 (- haven’t tested the Windows version but will assume it’s the same.)
    Google Chrome 7.0.517.41 Windows XP & 7 and MacOSX 10.6.4
    Safari 5.0.2 Windows XP & 7 and MacOSX 10.6.4

The following web browsers all display the page correctly:

Camino 2.0.5 MacOSX 10.6.4
    Firefox 3.6.12 Windows XP & 7 and MacOSX 10.6.4
    Internet Explorer 8 Windows XP & 7
    Opera 10.6 Windows XP & 7

The relevant code is as follows:

(Note: I’ve replaced the angled brackets with square brackets so the code displays. Sorry if I’m not supposed to do this.)

[div id=”main”]

[p class=”p2″][span class=”lfloat-std”][img src=”images/bldg_IMG_1154.jpg” border=”0″ height=92 alt=”Building work in progress.” /][/span]

[p class=”p2″ align=”center”][img src=”images/bldg_IMG_0775.jpg” border=0 height=200 alt=”The build of a conservatory in progress.” /][/p]

[/div]

The relevant css code is as follows:

#main {
    font-size: 85%;
    color: #333;
    height: 100%;
    padding-left: 40px;
    padding-top: 20px;
    padding-right: 40px;
    }

.lfloat-std img {
    margin: 0.2em 1.0em 0 0;
    float: left;
    }

Nothing I have tried has worked. Any advice or pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Eclipse

In your html it says align: center for the paragraph which contains the conservatory image

In your html, the border and height values aren’t within hooks, ie. “200” instead of 200. I don’t know what these characters are called in English, sorry for that.

Furthermore you could add:
    img {border: none;} in your CSS, that way you keep your html tidy and faster, plus it’s good practice to seperate structure from layout and functionality.

To further speeden up the thing I would make sure the images called for in your code match these width and height values so you can omit them in your html entirely.

If this isn’t helpful and/or solves your problem, then I wouldn’t know also.

ridgedale

Hi Eclipse,

Thank you for your feedback. I will have a look at applying your suggestions overnight and come back to you. In the meantime you mention:

“… in your CSS, that way you keep your html tidy and faster, plus it’s good practice to seperate structure from layout and functionality.”

Do you know of any documentation online where I can ready up on separating layout and functionality?

Many thanks again.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.