Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Design Critique my portfolio site please?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Justin
    Participant

First off: Great looking site.

Only thing my OCD mind noticed was a one pixel jump in some of the content when changing slides.

Other than that, I try to stay away from “exact” pricing, you can get caught doing hours of work for very little pay. I see you have “Contact me for an accurate quote” underneath, and I suppose that counteracts what I just said, but I feel it is slightly too light for readability.

alexemorris
    Participant

I think that has something to do with the -webkit-font-smoothing property, I’ve changed it to antialiased now, is it any better?

I’ve also improved contrast on the disclaimer/prices

alexemorris
    Participant

Safe to say this thread has definitely motivated me to iron out all the bugs and I’m much happier with the site now. Thanks everyone!

alexemorris
    Participant

I was looking into increasing type size in the slider, something for this week but at the moment I’m focusing on internet explorer compatibility. The thought of a potential client checking out my portfolio in IE upsets me, but it happens so I’m going to have to fix it the best I can.

Before I post on stack overflow, does anyone have any idea why this is happening on internet explorer 6 through to 11. I know why there is no background on my slider on older versions. But the main issue is the layout where certain newer versions of IE seems to completely ignore the absolute positioning on the 2 divs inside the slider.

Also IE 8 on Windows 7, the fonts look absolutely horrific. Not sure whats going on with TypeKit there.

http://www.browserstack.com/screenshots/2c200a5d7b990660b0dad4b4121e5cd3d73963f0

Alen
    Participant

http://youtu.be/VDLPAE9wLEU

Just for @chrisburton aka Celine Dion!

:)

And everyone else should watch Helvetica!

chrisburton
    Participant

Haha. Seen both.

alexemorris
    Participant

Very good trilogy

VladimirKrstic
    Participant

Overall it looks good, though there are few thing i would change, actually i suggest you to change them asap!

• drop background pattern, it totally lowers readability and creates visual noise

• drop log in link. Seriously you don’t need that there. It will confuse some users that you have register/log in option for them, and to others will say hey i just put that there well because i can do so… you can’t use it. It feels somewhat stupid.

• present that “contact” link is not another html page. Something like this. Your text to link here… . Though simple triangle in circle or just triangle on the left of link will do the job.

alexemorris
    Participant

That soon asap enough? I tried without the background and I didn’t like it. However I’ve taken the other things you said on board.

Removing the background pattern had crossed my mind before and I ended up making the effect more subtle, however removing it just seems like simplification for the sake of simplification, all it does is make my site seem.. boring?

Hope you like the other changes. Arrow only works on webkit so far need to test on other browsers.

cshei
    Participant

Cool site! I really like all of the transitions

I like the way that you have each project pop out to be it’s own little window, but the images of the sites seem too small to really see what you made..feels more like a thumbnail right now. It’s ok for now because you linked to the site but there’s no guarantee that the person will feel like going to the site or that the site will always stay that way you design/developed it.

Alen
    Participant

Hope you like the other changes.

Alex I hope you see the issue with above statement.

Take everything what everyone has said in here and tell them to eat dirt. Including me.

This is turning into design by committee. It’s no longer about what YOU want. It is no longer YOU.

Just build websites and don’t be afraid to make mistakes.

and…

Have fun.

alexemorris
    Participant

I know exactly what you mean, but I personally think it’s been very beneficial and I’m much happier with the site now.

The vast majority of what people have said had been for the good, a few I have disagreed with and not changed.

I definitely prefer the contact with the arrow and the others with forward slashes, makes a lot sense.

Alen
    Participant

That’s great. Just don’t make changes for the sake of making changes. And keep kicking ass man, site looks great, me thinks.

VladimirKrstic
    Participant

@alexemorris That was quick. :)

As far as i adore pattern backgrounds in print that much i hate them on screen. They really hurt my eyes, maybe it’s just me. If you don’t want to change them that’s okay. Maybe just try to remove fill in those triangles, make them just with thin outline? Or maybe you can try subtle gray-to-white gradient?

Good luck with your site.

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • The forum ‘Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.