Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End Contact Post not displaying information

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    WindberTSA

In komodo, it says “Parse Error: syntax error, unexpected $end ” on last line..

tomrogers123

I think it’s a trifle unfair to brand DreamWeaver as not being a code editor. It __is__ a code editor but just also happens to have a ton of extra bloat. Even for people who just use the coding portion, it does bring some niceties such as the fact that every file can be configured as part of a “site” (making the application aware of its relationship with other project files and thus allowing for automatic updating of file paths if one is moved). It can also be used as a “live FTP editor” – although this may no longer be thought of as a good thing it gives the user the option.

I’m not one of those Adobe diehards (I use and love Sublime Text ) but I think it does have some merits and doesn’t always deserve the negative old-school stereotype it has in our industry. You should try alternatives and then just use whatever makes you most productive.

WindberTSA

@tomrogers123 That is what I have liked about DreamWeaver,(Granted I havent’ really used anything else) but I like that I can see all the files together and work with them as a whole.

And I have uploaded the files to the site again, and again it appears to not be printing and I do not appear to be receiving the mail either..

tomrogers123

I don’t know how @traq would feel about this but I personally think the easist way for us to sort this out would be for you to upload a zip somewhere with everything in it so we can put it on our own test environments and play around with it until it works (and then tell you what the problems were). At this stage, I think your headaches probably come from multiple sources and it would be easier to figure out what’s happening if we had some context. That way, we won’t be back and fourth with suggestions that make no difference.

__
    Participant

> What do you mean by real server? I have been uploading the changes to my iPage hosting and testing the post on the actual web page..

I thought you might have been “previewing” it in DW. If you’re testing on your actual server, that’s great.

> How will it ‘tell’ me what the error is?

It will print any errors to the screen (unless your host is over-zealous about hiding them – in which case, you’ll need to talk to them about where your error logs are).

> In komodo, it says “Parse Error: syntax error, unexpected $end ” on last line..

I don’t get that error when I view your gist in komodo. I don’t get any errors at all; I can run it just fine. Later today I will recreate your form and test the whole thing.

@tomrogers123
    if you want to try it out, you can clone (or download as a zip) from [@WindberTSA’s gist](https://gist.github.com/windbertsa/4985808).

I will try my best not to sound like I’m “bagging” on Dreamweaver. I *have* used it (FrontPage, too, *shudder*), and my thoughts here are based on legitimate concerns.

> I just liked the way it was set up for managing all the files, the code hints, and the design view can show me a lot of what I am doing before I have to preview it in multiple browsers

Other editors can do project management and code hints (obviously, a lot better, if DW couldn’t tell you what the error actually *was*).

DW’s “design view” is a trap – no browser uses the same rendering engine as DW, so your results there are completely useless. Even adobe says:

> Design view gives you an idea of how your page will look on the web but does not render pages exactly as browsers do.

Even with something like notepad, you can preview your page in *real* browsers, which is far more beneficial. If you want to develop with PHP, install PHP (it’s not hard) and work with it locally.

@tomrogers123
    – I agree that DW can be useful in some situations. In my experience, it’s more of a hindrance than a help. I spend a lot of time helping people “clean up” after DW/FP/etc. sites.

tomrogers123

@traq I was suggesting that we see the entire page (not only the form).

WindberTSA

Thanks again for all of your help. If there is somewhere that either of you would like me to upload the files to so that you can download them, I am glad to oblige.

I figured out where the error logs are, and I could not find any error reports related to this PHP document. I did find many errors but they appeared to be in relation to documents I am not aware of. Like a member.php file, an index.php, a login.php. None of which I have created..

__
    Participant

You can add other files to your gist, too. When you start [edit] mode, a button to add files appears.

__
    Participant

Okay –

The code works for me if you use an actual Submit button. I’m not sure why the javascript `.submit` isn’t working, but unless you *really* need it for some reason, I’d suggest not using it anyway.

WindberTSA

Okay, that’s great! I’m very curious why the javascript isn’t working. Did you make a gist of what you did to get it to work?

Is this what the button should be like if I don’t use the javascript?

And does that change the first statement of the php file `if( !empty( $_POST ) )`?

__
    Participant
    tomrogers123

I’m also with @traq on this one, but, even if you were going to go the JavaScript link route, it’d probably be best in a seperate file (not straight in the markup). @WindberTSA: is this solved for you now then?

WindberTSA

Thanks so much, I uploaded it and it works! It’s not a big deal if I do not use the JS, I can’t believe it is what caused all these problems.

The only question I have is, how can I change the way that it prints the message saying that it was submitted.. I would really like it to not redirect to a new page, and if it does redirect, time out(?) somehow so that it then takes you back to that page.

__
    Participant

You can put whatever you like in that block. Just replace the “Thanks” message with whatever text/html/redirect you like. If you want to display a message briefly and then redirect (I think that’s what you’re asking?), you can use [`header()`](http://php.net/header). Can you explain exactly what you want to happen?

WindberTSA

I am sorry if I was a little vague. I would like, ideally, for a box to pop up (as a different page overtop of the current page) and prompt the user that their message was sent successfully.

edit
    And that box then, after a few seconds disappears and the current page refreshes to now show their already sent message anymore.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.