Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other CLoud

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Junni

is there any way to run your website in online cloud instead if heaving a domain??

chrisburton
    Participant

…for real?

Alfie
    Participant

Have a look at site44.com this may help

chrisburton
    Participant

That still requires a domain, @Alfie.

Alfie
    Participant

Then the simple answer should be No – the internet is all about making your content easy to find, if your asking your viewer to jump through hoops to find you then it’s not going to work.

Paulie_D

All websites need to be hosted somewhere. This can be on your computer (or personal server) or on someone else’s server.

The host computer (or server) needs to be able to be found by other computers on the internet. In fact, every computer already has a ‘domain’ of sorts…it’s the IP address but since this is usually just a string of numbers it’s hard to remember.

So domain names were invented…they are, in effect, shortcuts. Easy to remember addresses which, when accessed, take you to that specific IP.

That a very rough and highly simplistic guide to domains (any inacccuracies are acknowledged).

Site44.com leverages your Dropbox account. It allows a folder in your Dropbox account (which is linked to the same folder on your computer) t operate as a virtual server.

It’s very handy for demos and test but I would not say it’s a platform for commercial websites.

chrisburton
    Participant

Just as a sidenote: If you have a VPS, you can use Dropbox as a backup/sync file system for your site.

You can make changes inside your dropbox folder and that will automatically sync the changes to your server. Basically like having an FTP without all the annoyances.

I agree with Paulie, this might be best for a portfolio site or something small.

Paulie_D

Excuse my ignorance but surely the ‘cloud’ is never independent of physical servers?

The files have to be hosted somewhere on a physical server don’t they….they can’t just exist in the ether.

The cloud just means (to me)…”not hosted by my computer, just hosted & served by someone else”.

Or am I missing something?

Kuzyo
    Participant

> is there any way to run your website in online cloud instead if heaving a domain??

I think it’s only to the purpose of showing the interim site result to someone else without need to buying domain. It’s my understanding of the question.

Paulie_D

>It’s my understanding of the question.

It’s not mine.

What I think he’s asking is ” Can I have public website without using/buying a domain name?”.

The answer is yes but no-one will be able to find it….because it doesn’t have a name.

Kuzyo
    Participant

Waiting for @Junni

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.