Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End Cache or not to Cache wordpress

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Gary Pickles
    Participant

Hi All,

I’ve setup a few wordpress sites now and one has come back to me asking if we can speed the load times up, It’s a static site not too may updates and no comments, should i use a Caching plugin? and if so, could you recommend one to use.

Alen
    Participant

You should always cache. Server will always be faster at returning just simple HTML file of off local disk, than accessing database or hitting some API. Caching is a broad subject and there’s all kinds of ways you can cache data. With WordPress most of the plugins come with variety of options, I think best thing to do is to install one and test it out.

See:

Make sure to test before and after… check out WebPageTest.org and when performing tests set Advanced Settings to fit your testing criteria and set Number of Tests to Run to something like 5.

@megarypickles-com
    don’t be afraid to test, hopefully you are able to test on a staging server first before deploying to live site. If you’re testing live make sure to at least make a full backup of your data and all the files. I use VaultPress/BlogVault for this purpose. In case something breaks, I can one click restore.

Hope that helps.,

Alen

Gary Pickles
    Participant

Thank you Alen for your comprehensive answer, It is a live site yes, so I’ll back up first and test.

Gary

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.