Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS blank template in wordpress 3.0.1

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    yshjagz

hi guys!

have you watched the video tutorial on creating and editing custom themes in wordpress by chris coyier? i have a problem with the blank template. i copied all the images as well as the style.css from the HTML CS5 folder to the WidgetCorps-Theme 1 inside the htdocs but still there are no output when i activate/preview the theme. right now, i’m using wp 3.1.3.. does the compatibility of the theme matter? really need your help. :3

rubistarr

are you referring to starker?

yshjagz

yep!! :D that blank theme. :3

rubistarr

you copied the starker file into the wp_content/themes folder? or into the widget corps theme folder? and are able to activate the starker theme but when you go to the page it is blank or is it full of just text?

chrisburton
    Participant

There’s a Starkers Theme and there’s a Blank Theme on DigWP. Make sure you know the difference.

Go to the wp-content folder > themes > move theme folder (Starkers) here
    Go to your WordPress admin dashboard and activate the theme

yshjagz

@ChristopherBurton: i don’t get it.. both starkers and the blank theme are the same.. :/

@rubistarr
    : i copied the theme into the widget corps folder and still when i activate it, still has that blank theme which has full of text in it.

rubistarr

hmm, not sure exactly what you are refering to with the widget corp aspect but when I use Starker, I do as christopher suggested and take the starker folder and put it into the wp-content > themes >starker folder and then when it is activated it will just be text untill you get code and images into place. If you go to this link you can see what one of mine looks like with only starker installed before I have done any editing to it. website with starker activated – pre customizing.

rubistarr

also, I believe if you visit the 2 links in christophers post you will see that there is a blank theme (called blank) and a starker theme (called starker) Ive only used starker personally and been very happy with it. Where did you get your theme from? the starker website or the Diw site? either way, the folder should be placed into the main themes folder and not one file deeper into another themes folder. hope this helps.

yshjagz

the exercise files from the lynda.com’s creating and editing custom themes video tutorial. chris coyier’s the one who demonstrated it. and it was actually a “Blank Theme” .. i double checked it. :)) and i’ll try your tip later! :D thanks! :3 i’ll post again if i encounter another problem. (^___^)/

rubistarr

good luck. chis C also has a free podcast on designing for wordpress that specifically uses the starker theme. That is the one I used and everything went well. maybe reference it for further info. Now if only someone would answer my post about php email forms :P

chrisburton
    Participant

I stopped using Starkers because I hate how bulky the WordPress files are. I asked Coyier if he used the HTML5 Starkers Theme and he pointed me to the HTML5 Reset Theme based on the DigWP Blank Theme. Honestly, everything is simple and a fraction of the markup compared to Starkers. I would suggest using this if you’re starting off like that.

rubistarr

thanks for the update. I didnt know he had moved on to a new and improved one :)

chrisburton
    Participant

@yshjagz are you putting the Starkers Theme inside another folder?

yshjagz

@ChristopherBurton: i used the blank theme.. the one you showed to me. and i put the theme into the wp-content>themes..

rubistarr

can we see the link?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.