Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript Best way to track & store checked status of multiple checkboxes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    lucas572

Hi all!

Hope you’re well! I’m still working on this to-do list site and I’m a little stuck for the best way to track if one of the items has been marked as done, and then how to update the cookie that stores the to-do to only load a checked checkbox.

I’ve seen things like unload and onbeforeunload which seem like a possible way to go, checking through each checkbox on a page unload then storing the status in the cookie for next time the user visits the page.

But I’m wondering if there are any other suggestions? W3schools thinks onunload doesn’t work in Opera or Chome (shockingly!) which would be a definite no-go if that is the case.

Thanks guys!

Oh, [link to the site](http://todo.lukeseager.com “link to the site”) if you want to have a mooche around.

[EDIT] This is a vanilla JavaScript project, just as an FYI :)

Atelierbram
    Participant

* (There’s also the `:checked` pseudo class in CSS3)[http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-selectors/#checked]
    * (This article could also be of help)[http://www.thecssninja.com/css/custom-inputs-using-css]

lucas572

haha, I’m working on exactly that idea right now! Great minds!

In a bit of a pickle with it though! I’ve managed to get it so when a checkbox is checked, it pulls down the cookie for that particular item. But now I need to find just the `input` element inside that variable. Searching around there doesn’t seem to be a way to do this? Ideally I’d just type `variableName.getElementsByTagName(input)` but the `getElementByTagName` only works on `document.` humpf!

lucas572

@Atelierbram Thanks, That pseudo class has come in handy before, however this is more about changing one part of a JavaScript variable instead of styling something differently. Thanks for the links though! :)

lucas572

I was thinking that, instead of pulling the cookie down and trying to edit that, just get all the code from the row and save over the cookie that’s already there. Might be a better way to go with less code too maybe.

lucas572

Hmm, I have the `tr` element after an `onClick` I put in the `tr`. But I can’t seem to get anything other than “[object HTMLTableRowElement]”, It wont give me the value or the code of the object itself, only seems to tell me what it is :/

lucas572

Mini update: I was being a bit of an idiot. Managed to get the HTML from inner and outerHTML. Now just need to get this checked status in place and should be golden :)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.