Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Background image in empty div

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    rudynorman

I have a #page-wrap, and inside that I have #main-content which contains two other divs called #guts and #navigation. I want #main-content to have a background image, and to be the same length as whatever is the longest div inside (likely to be ‘#guts’).

However, I have no idea how to achieve this. Help?

chrisburton
    Participant

Set the background to repeat on #main-content.

set the background to repeat-y in #main-content

rudynorman

It already is set to repeat. Here’s the CSS

#page-wrap { position: relative; width: 1280px; min-height: 1000px; height: auto; background-image: url(images/main.png); background-repeat: no-repeat; margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto; z-index: 1; }

#main-content { position: relative; width:797px; height: auto; padding-bottom: 50px; background-image: url(images/content-back.png); margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto; background-repeat:repeat-y; z-index: 0; margin-top: -550px; }

#guts { position: absolute; width:480px; height: auto; margin-left: 115px; margin-right: auto; z-index: 3; margin-top: 760px; color: white; font-family: "Trebuchet MS", Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt; }

#navigation { position: absolute; width: 230px; height: auto; margin-top: 590px; text-align: right; z-index: 100; margin-left: 600px; }

chrisburton
    Participant

Wtf. Why do you have a negative margin of 550px?

Anyway, can I see a live link?

rudynorman
    thomas

It’s a little unclear what you’re asking for. Do you want the background to “stretch” according to the width of the div? If so, you can use the “background-size” property (not supported by older browsers, though).

If you want the background to repeat, then you should be already set.

TheDoc

I’m going to guess it’s because either it only contains floated or absolutely positioned elements.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.