Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Background image in a sidebar

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Kralle
    Participant

Hello everyone!

I’m having a bit of a problem with an image which should repeat itself all the way down to the footer. I started using an image for the sidebar-div, the image stopped repeating itself down the y-axis when the content stopped. It’s a background for the sidebar.

The structure is as followed:

I tried assigning the image to the content-div, since it’s surrounding both the main-content and the sidebar via the following CSS-code:

#content {
    width: 960px;
    margin-top: 0px;
    background: url(/images/sidebarbackground.png) right repeat-y;
    }

But nothing happens, sadly.

Does anyone have a solution to my problem?

Thanks in advance,
    Kralle

ozee

I don’t know if this will work for you, but I was able to change the width to a set height and the image appeared in the background. Let me know if this helps you out Kralle, here is my source code.

ozee

that’s very true too! Had you tried it with content in the div that you want the background to show up on?

Kralle
    Participant

Yes, I only posted the structure. Nothing happens with content in it – sadly. You can see a preview here:

ozee

I played with your code in firebug some and the best way I found to do what it sounds like you are wanting is to apply that

background: url(/images/sidebarbg.png) repeat-y;

to the id for the sidebar wrapper. Let me know if this helps you!

Kralle
    Participant

It works perfectly when I apply it to the #sidebar-wrapper, but I want it to be on #content, since a page like this page won’t allow the background to continue down to the footer. I tried applying overflow:auto to #content and the background to #sidebar-wrapper, and I got the same result.

I should have linked to this page in the first place, my bad. :-)

ozee

I was able to get this to work by using positioning and setting a top, a bottom and a left position to the sidebar since you have a fixed width on the content, this can work for you.

#content {
    position: relative;
    overflow: auto;
    }

#main-content {
    width: 650px;
    line-height: 15px;
    font-size: 12px;
    padding-bottom: 40px;
    position: relative;
    }

#sidebar-wrapper {
    background: url(/images/sidebarbg.png) repeat-y;
    width: 300px;
    position: absolute;
    top: 0;
    left: 650px;
    bottom: 0;
    }

Kralle
    Participant

Thanks a bunch for your help, ozee and virtual. It’s been a great help! I really appreciate all the contributions. :-) ended up using virtual’s correction.

May I ask why exactly 90% did it, and what did it exactly do?

ozee

I like virtual’s suggestion better than mine anyhow lol, I didn’t think of that. Correct me if I am wrong; but since there is an overflow: auto the image flowed down to the footer, the 90% allowed the image to align itself to the right without touching the right side of the div, hence moving the element 90% to the right.

ozee

That makes a lot more sense that my method of moving it based on using position and coordinates, learn something new everyday I guess!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.