Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Achieve a layout that fits rows yet still fills vertical whitespace?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    benjamincharity
    Participant

I was recently shown a (seemingly) super-simple layout. I have had two top notch developers say it’s not possible now and that just makes me all the more determined to find a way.

I need to create this:
    And I can’t figure out how without getting crazy with JS to measure whitespace etc.

Any ideas?

noahgelman
    Participant

1st thing, it’s totally possible. There’s always a way to do it.

2nd, some details. Is this supposed to be dynamic? Are things of different sizes being fed in somehow where you don’t always know the height/width values? Or is it static where you just need once instance of it and it’s all just a matter or css and positioning?

noahgelman
    Participant

Instead of actual “rows” it seems he just wants to get as many images as possible in a certain amount of space while the images have a certain amount of margin between them. Seems very doable, I actually think there is already plugin that does exactly that

TheDoc

Yea, not possible with CSS alone. But the link that wolfcry911 posted will do the job perfectly.

noahgelman
    Participant

Yup, that’s the one. You saying two top notch developers saying it’s not possible is worrisome for some reason.

benjamincharity
    Participant

The height and width of each image is unknown until the image is loaded.

Masonry does not actually do this naturally to my knowledge. Neither does Isotope.

With a sort of hack I was able to make it possible by setting Masonry’s column width to 20px. It works, but definitely does feel like an ugly hack.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.