Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other A question about ARM computers.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    nixnerd
    Participant

This is mainly directed @traq. However, if anyone else has experience with ARM computers, please feel free to answer the question. I just know @traq is into this sort of thing.

I am building a remote motion activated camera that is capable of emailing me the photos it takes. @Traq, I know you are a fan of the Beaglebone Black. I am too. The thing is BEAST… for a computer the size of my Visa. Anyway, here’s what I need:

I need to run a minimal Linux distro like Arch. I do not need any sort of GUI. Period. This thing is going to run a bare-bones, server-like setup. Both the BBB and the Raspi are capable of that. No problems there. But, I need to hook up, a camera, a 3g dongle, infrared LEDs for flash and a solar power panel. If possible, I’d also like a digital thermometer.

Which should I go with Raspi or BBB? It would seem that the BBB is the better value by far. However, the Raspi has a larger following and it seems like more accessories. However… I’m sure the accessories could be used on both?

I don’t know. I’m in the dark and need some help. Any input is always appreciated.

nixnerd
    Participant

I want to see how this shakes out… but I’m leaning toward the BBB. It already has 2GB on board and can more readily be run as a standalone computer… which is what I need.

nixnerd
    Participant

And… faster processor.

nixnerd
    Participant

So, I’ve been researching all the “capes” or add-ons for the BBB and I’m thoroughly impressed. They basically have a ready-made solution for everything I want to do. Awesome. BBB it is!

__
    Participant

Well, sorry I’m late to your conversation, but I think you hit all the relevant points.

You mention solar power – any particular reason for that? Are you planning on making it wireless? If not (if you’re running an ethernet cable – you could even do POE), then I don’t really see the advantage of solar. Keep in mind you’ll need a larger array than you might expect in order to power the camera. And I assume you’ll be using the flash at night, so you’ll need a battery too, to store the power you collect.

Are you making a custom enclosure for it?

nixnerd
    Participant

This will be totally wireless with a 3g cape. I didn’t think about a battery but I saw a cape for that too.

Yeah… This thing is going to be very remote. No ethernet cable there.

I’m going to go over the 92 pin limit huh?

nixnerd
    Participant

I think infrared LEDs take less power to flash but it’ll still need some stored up juice. I’m just worried about having too many peripherals.

__
    Participant

This will be totally wireless with a 3g cape. I didn’t think about a battery but I saw a cape for that too.

Most of the battery capes I’ve seen use AA batteries. I’ve never seen a rechargable battery cape, so I don’t know if you’d be able to hook it up to your solar cells. I know people have done it, but it involved lots of soldering.

A possible alternative would be a usb battery backup. You could get pretty good battery life, depending on how often you snap a pic + how good a cell signal you have.

I’m just worried about having too many peripherals.

depends on how many pins each cape uses, and where they’re positioned. Some capes can be stacked, too.

nixnerd
    Participant

Here’s the new plan. I’m going to buy all the capes I need and if there is not a cape… I’ll just order parts. I’m going to get a blank proto cape or bread board and build everything out I need. I want it to be compact. Soldering? Never done it but I’m not scared. As long as this thing works, I don’t care what it takes.

As far as an enclosure, I’ve seen some boxes but none look waterproof. I would LOVE to get a custom enclosure 3D printed but there’s only a few shops in Denver and I’m sure they are not cheap. I need to build the entire thing for less than $200. That’s the goal.

nixnerd
    Participant

For anyone stumbling across this… BBB has great docs. Not as big of a community but who cares when you have documentation. Between those docs and the AWESOME Arch Wiki… you could build pretty much anything.

nixnerd
    Participant

I saw one solar project but it was done with a car battery. That’s not going to work. I need a SMALL power storage solution. I’m sure there are parts out there.

nixnerd
    Participant
    __
    Participant

This might work: otterbox.com

I was going to suggest that. Is that largest one big enough for all the capes+battery? I know Otterbox has bigger boxes, but they get less and less cheap as you go on.

As far as an enclosure, I’ve seen some boxes but none look waterproof …I need to build the entire thing for less than $200.

one word: tupperware (the good ones, not the disposables).

Soldering? Never done it but I’m not scared.

Same here. Well, I did solder some “battle damage” into various model kits when I was a kid, but I’m not sure that counts.

I’ll get a breadboard someday.

nixnerd
    Participant

What’s the difference between a breadboard and the protocape?

__
    Participant

What’s the difference between a breadboard and the protocape?

umm… I’ve never heard of a “protocape” before. Neat, though. The main difference would appear to be the form factor.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.