Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other 301 redirect issues with Wix and Godaddy.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Miela84
    Participant

Hi,
    I’m having issues with a redirect that I’m trying to do for a friend who changed his business name and got a new domain and site for the new name.

He has a site hosted on Wix but the domain is registered with Godaddy. We want to redirect it to the new site and domain name. Wix doesn’t allow 301 redirects. This is a bummer because I read that this is how he’ll retain his SEO or at least some of it.

We tried a redirect through Godaddy anyway just to see if it worked but it’s redirecting in Los Angeles and not on our friends computer in Canada. I’m not sure what that’s all about but we’re assuming it’s not working correctly. I have no clue if it’s doing a 301 because I don’t know enough about the subject to know the difference and Wix doesn’t allow anyone to see the backend of the site.
    Since we can’t come up with a workaround to retain our SEO we’re thinking of just getting rid of the costly Wix hosting and redirecting ONLY the old Godaddy domain (with no Wix hosting) to our new site again. We’re hoping that will solve the issue. My question is…Is it possible to redirect the old domain name without it being hosted? Also, if the old site’s urls still come up in google after we drop the Wix hosting, will people get error messages because it’s not hosted anymore or will they get redirected at every page because we’re going to redirect the whole domain through godaddy? My brain is completely twisted on this one. I hope I explained this well enough. It’s hard to explain. I’m hoping someone can help to make this clear. I’ve called both companies and I’m not getting anywhere.

Thanks.

nixnerd
    Participant

Typically you would use DNS for this… not a 301. I register all of my domains through GoDaddy because I can always get them for $1.00. Then, I host elsewhere… in my case a VPS. What you want to do is edit the DNS record and point it to Wix. You’ll have to read their instructions for doing this, as I’m not familiar with their control panel or whatever.

The only time I’ve personally ever used a 301 is to redirect http://www.example.com to just example.com. Those are technically two different urls, and I want to make sure all traffic goes to one or the other.

Miela84
    Participant

Thank for your response. I think that you’re thinking that I want to forward a site TO Wix but I actually want to point a domain away from Wix, so I can redirect to Godadddy hosting instead. I did the redirect. It seems to be working, but Godaddy said it can take 24-48 hours to propagate. So far we’re still having trouble in Canada.

__
    Participant

I actually want to point a domain away from Wix, so I can redirect to Godadddy hosting instead

The old site is hosted on wix, new site on godaddy. Correct? Are the domain names for each site registered with wix and godaddy, respectively?

If so, just point the DNS record for your old domain (wix) to the new site on godaddy. Joe may have gotten the direction backwards, but it’s still the correct solution.

Once the old domain name points at the new site, if you plan to get rid of the old domain name eventually, you can rewrite it to the new domain name. If you’re keeping both domain names, you won’t really need to do a redirect at all, and es-ee-oh will never know anything changed at all.

Of course, you could simply transfer registration of the old domain name to godaddy, if you wished.

To clear up some possible confusion from your original post:

Is it possible to redirect the old domain name without it being hosted? Also, if the old site’s urls still come up in google after we drop the Wix hosting, will people get error messages because it’s not hosted anymore or will they get redirected at every page because we’re going to redirect the whole domain through godaddy?

Domain names are not irreversibly tied to the specific computer that hosts your site. DNS records are a domain name → IP address lookup. If you register a domain name with company A, you can have your hosting there also, or at company B, or any other web hosting company.

Different domain names can also point at the same host server: you don’t actually need a second “website” if you only want to be able to see the same thing at both your old and new domain names.

You can also transfer your domain name registration from company A to company B, or to any other registrar (that handles the particular TLD), and then you wouldn’t have to deal with company A at all.

If I understand your problem correctly, that’s what I would be doing: transfer the domain registration from wix to your new account at godaddy.

nixnerd
    Participant

Joe may have gotten the direction backwards, but it’s still the correct solution.

Yeah sorry, I guess I had it wrong.

pea1
    Participant

Hello Miela84,

I have the same kind of problem moving the site from WIX to somewhere else without losing the Google ranking.

How did you solve it?

Cheers,

Pea

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.