Well, I have to admit I couldn’t resist trying it myself, so I just moved the index.php and the .htaccess files to the root of my site after everything has been set and I visited the home page and it looked just fine.
Then when I tried to access internal pages, I got 500 errors and my heart almost stopped beating!
Then by trial and error I figured out the solution that worked!
like I had to rename the directory into the index.php file I should have also renamed the same thing into the .htaccess file, which made it work just fine.
So, now you can try it on your own sites and it will work with you.