Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End Installing WP to a sub-directory of site

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    elmalak

Dear Chris:
    I’ve seen the tip included in your wonderful book" Shortcut to Digging Into WordPress" about installing the WP into a sub-directory and then moving the index.php file and the .htaccess to the root folder.

My question here is,
    Will this work after I customize template, edit pages and posts and so or do I have to do it only before I start using my WordPress?
    Will moving those files now break my site?

I had to do so in order not to disrupt the current site content until the new version in WP is ready.

Please, advise.

thanks,
    elmalak

elmalak

Well, I have to admit I couldn’t resist trying it myself, so I just moved the index.php and the .htaccess files to the root of my site after everything has been set and I visited the home page and it looked just fine.
    Then when I tried to access internal pages, I got 500 errors and my heart almost stopped beating!

Then by trial and error I figured out the solution that worked!
    like I had to rename the directory into the index.php file I should have also renamed the same thing into the .htaccess file, which made it work just fine.

So, now you can try it on your own sites and it will work with you.

elmalak
    http://www.103graphics.com

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.