Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Ubuntu Help Reply To: Ubuntu Help

__
Participant

Kinda late, I guess, but where are you now?
and are you trying to run git, or that WPScan program?

Just to comment on a few past things,

Update: Had to run sudo -s to run in root

Do not run git with sudo unless you have a very, very specific reason for doing so. In fact, do not run anything with sudo unless you know exactly what you’re doing, and why, and that it can’t be done without sudo.

The average user should never have reason to use the sticky (-s) option: type sudo each time you need it. I know it’s annoying, but it’s supposed to be annoying. Don’t run as root. When you get more experience under your belt, you can make your own decision.

Linux has the concept of users, groups, and permissions. The “root” user is kinda like a Super-Admin account on Windows… the root user is allowed to do absolutely anything (e.g., root is even allowed to delete the linux kernel and the entire OS while it’s running. Don’t try that, though).

Ubuntu handles this a bit differently than most Linux distros: it hides the root account. When you need to do something that requires root user permissions, you have to use sudo. sudo‘s only purpose in life is to get your attention when you’re about to do something you might regret.

This is not to say that you should never use sudo. Installing programs (which is what apt-get does), for example, or changing certain admin settings. Some programs require root permissions in order to be useful as well. Just think twice: make sure you know what you’re about to do, and why you need root permissions to do it.

For git, you don’t need it (it’s a bit risky if you do it in the wrong directory, and even if not, it leads to some other annoyances later on). If you created your current repo using sudo, you might have to get rid of it (delete the hidden .git/ directory) and start over without sudo.

Erik, everything in due time. The responses here are fragmented and incomplete, take some time with following resources.

Absolutely. And don’t try to follow everyone’s advice at once. If you’re listening to Joe, for example, and I suggest something that you don’t entirely understand, wait for Joe’s feedback before trying it. It’s not that I don’t know what I’m doing, it’s that I don’t necessarily know what he’s doing. And you don’t need to get lost.

Anyhow: let us know what you’re trying to do (git vs. WPScan), and we’ll get you on the right track.