Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

YES! Here is a design I have need for opinion of.

• # April 1, 2008 at 11:46 am

Today I am happy because my favorite website gets a forum. I check CSS-Tricks everyday usually twice. Today I saw the forums was new but no post buttons. I go to get a sandwhich and come back to a new and working forum! Anyways…

I have question please someone tell me whats up with this design I did. Here it is the link.

Please give me some inputs. I require the knowledge. How can be improved?

[img]http://indiebelts.com/images/thumb.jpg[/img]
    http://indiebelts.com

o-d
    # April 1, 2008 at 12:01 pm

hi, i look your site. Its very good. But i think it maybe need some more colours. Also it has some html errors -> http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1 … .com%2F%23

In the end it’ll be a good website. Have a nice day.

# April 1, 2008 at 12:17 pm

Thanks for the quick reply.
    It validates now.

This is just the working design. I still need to tear it apart again and build it into WordPress then remove worpress elements from most the site so only one section ("News") is a blog.

Thanks for the help, others feel free to chime in as well.

# April 1, 2008 at 12:22 pm

I like it! Love the sliding sections at the top. I will say this – the font that you used in orange? It’s a little tough on the eyes. Maybe something that’s just as wide, but with more defined characters? That’s my main thing.

o-d
    # April 1, 2008 at 12:30 pm

that sliding top menu should be a mootools thing. i remember that i saw something likewise.

# April 1, 2008 at 12:49 pm
    "o-d" wrote:
    that sliding top menu should be a mootools thing

YES thats right! It is Mootools I usually use scriptaculous but want mootools this time.

o-d
    # April 1, 2008 at 12:57 pm

i usually prefer prototype :) but i like mootols stuff. want to use some moothing later :)

# April 1, 2008 at 1:11 pm

I appreciate dark color, and your website is really cool :)
    The only thing I’m not sure about is the font you used on the date section. I don’t know why, but it dosen’t fit with the rest very well in my opinion…

# April 1, 2008 at 8:22 pm

Hey Kevin,

I think it’s a really strong design, good work! All the tweaks I would suggest are typographic. The font in the blurbs in the slider-thingy are bitmappy and jagged, I’d play with some different options there. I general I could see bumping down all of the body copy a smidge and increasing the line-height.

# April 2, 2008 at 3:24 am

The header is a bit squished…
    Maybe increase the height apart from that I like it and in regards to the type and colours, it looks ok to me….

# April 2, 2008 at 5:31 am

Thanks for all who gave me some input on this design.

Typography has been my problem from the start. I am torn about what font to use for the menu and the footer, and have had no clue about font size and line height until now, Thanks Chris.

As for colors and stuff I will think about adding some. I wanted a dark design to draw the users attention to the product images. But still some highlights may be needed.

# April 2, 2008 at 9:08 am

I think you did a good job if you wanted to point out the product. My eyes went straight to it as soon as I opened the page. I also agree on the header font’s. Just something strange about it but if thats what your going for then I would stay with it. I don’t think it really takes away from the site… it’s just something I noticed that was different than the norm. There are a few JS errors that I am getting with firebug but everything seems to be working fine anyhow. Very nice design!

# April 3, 2008 at 9:25 pm
    "KevinChappell" wrote:
    I wanted a dark design to draw the users attention to the product images. But still some highlights may be needed.

If you add colours it wont be a dark design but rather a dark rainbow…
    So leave the colours. If you want it a lil brighter, just lighten the hue and brightness of the existing colours and not add more colours.

# May 19, 2008 at 8:45 pm

Hello again friends from the internet!

I have made changes that people have advised and now come to you all again.

I do not like how things turned out. This site is making me sick and I could use some more critiques. How can I make the Blog posts look better, the photoshop bevel/emboss is generating a great deal of discomfort with me.

http://www.indiebelts.com

# May 31, 2008 at 7:26 pm

Well I guess its just perfect then.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".