Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

What is your ideal calendar system? — input needed!!

• # January 22, 2009 at 2:55 pm

After working on a few sites for some clients that wanted their site to have a calendar for people to check on events, I found that there really aren’t that many good solutions out there.

Me and two other guys are talking about making our own calendar system and putting it out there for people to use, and I was wondering what you guys thought.

This assumes that you need to put a calendar on a website that didn’t use the wordpress calendar. It would be able to integrate easily with your current site design. It would support "themes" in the same way that wordpress does, in that you never change any of the "core" files to make the calendar fit with your current layout. The only files you would edit would be in a specific "theme" folder.

It would be written for PHP/MySQL.

All tables, rows, and cells would be clearly labeled with classes and id to easily target them in your CSS file.

The administration section would allow you to enter in events, set default views (month, week, or day view), and some other stuff I can’t think of right now.

This is all that I can think of right now. We’ve only tossed around the idea and haven’t completely hammered out the details. If you guys could give me some ideas of what you would want in a calendar system if you could make it ANY way you wanted, please let me know.

I want this to be the best freakin calendar system out there.

# January 22, 2009 at 5:16 pm

I think it sounds like a fun project. A month or so ago I decided to work on something similar. I’m not really planning on doing anything with it as far as releasing it for the world to use, but more as a project for myself to learn how to build a mini-focused CMS style application around the idea of a calendar.

I used an exsiting client at work as a model. Basically they have "shows" on certain dates, so those shows need to be able to be added, edited, and deleted from a registered user. Then you can browse the shows in a list view or on a calendar page.

I wanted to integrate eCommerce, as each show is basically a portal to buy tickets. So each day that has a show has a permanent page where FoxyCart is integrated for buying.

The demo is here:
    http://chatmandesign.com/templates/demo … /index.php

I’d actually like to find a client who needed something similar so I could try to roll it out in production, but nothing yet. I might actually do a series of screencasts on how it was built. The problem is I’m such a damn noob I don’t want to teach any bad practices.

# January 22, 2009 at 5:42 pm

I have been looking for ages for a booking system that you can put in appointments.

what I would like to see is:

A= business
    B= client
    1. a calendar system that can be edited by B of a site (they can only view and edited their own appointments they made, or was made for them by A) I know this would mean signing up – maybe integrate the wordpress user list??
    2. Any appointments made show up on the system as a taken appointment with not other details, unless it is that clients appointment (see point 1)
    3. Have the ability, from the admin side, to add in either a new person for appointments with/room for appointment.
    4. Have the ability to set the appointment time slots and days.

If I knew PHP & MySQL enough I would try this myself, but I don’t, and I am a slow learner.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".