Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

What is the best merchant processing solution?

• # February 7, 2010 at 12:58 pm

If you want to take credit card orders (or pre-orders), what is the best merchant processing solution?
    I’ve heard the PayPal and Google Checkout will freeze your funds if even a single person complains about your service to them.

Rob
    # February 8, 2010 at 5:18 am

Firstly – why would you be concerned about people complaining about you? lol – they way you said that is troubling.

There are many ways – but Paypal and Google Checkout are probably the easiest solutions. Personally I use Paypal as an invoicing option, and with it accepting pretty much any form of payment – even without an account required – its very useful.

# February 8, 2010 at 2:20 pm

The old saying "you get what you pay for" rings true here. There are many things that can be done open source or something that someone else has started or completed. This is not one of them.

If you truly want a professional merchant processing solution, not a single freelancer who is invoicing as Robski is suggesting, then you need to shell out for PayPal Pro, or something like Authorize.net which seems to be accepted by the vast majority of ecommerce solutions.

# February 9, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Hi I am new here and I am starting with your answerer. If you don’t care about the customer leaving your site:
    Amazon Payments (underrated in my opinion)
    PayPal
    Google Checkout
    If you need to seamlessly integrate a payment form in your site:
    -PayPal Payments Pro ($30/month for a virtual terminal and API integration, no contracts, 2.9% transaction, it’s really hard to find a merchant company that can beat this unless you’re talking in volumes).
    -Authorize.net coupled with the merchant company of your choice.
    When evaluating a merchant company, beware of contract stipulations, transaction fees, and monthly fees. My first provider was Cardservice International (one of the largest) and I used LinkPoint for the online gateway. I was paying $60-80/month just for the service! (transaction fees excluded) AND I was locked in a 2-year contract with an insanely high cancellation fee. One of their fees was a mandatory $20 "customer service fee" for access to their 24/7 customer service team. (WTF?)
    Just be careful when evaluating merchant companies. Try starting at your bank (as long as it’s not Chase, BoA, or Wells Fargo). Generally, local community banks or credit unions will have fair pricing and good customer service for merchants.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".