Hey everyone, I work as a receptionist here http://www.brezesalonandspa.com
I am going to be overhauling our website, because… well that the kind of thing
I just like to do :P
Anyways, before I start I thought I might be a good idea to get some feedback
on the original site. What do you guys like/dislike about it?
Things I Like:
– The overall look
– Logo/Header area
– The seemingly random rectangles of color. (and the overlapping.)
– Boxes on the left which pop out when clicked.
Things I don’t like:
– Small text on the left and bottom – I have no idea what they say.
– The Search and Newsletter Signup Area on the bottom left. It’s awkward and difficult to understand what that is.
Overall I like it – it’s different in a good way.
I few suggestions I have:
– I totally 2nd the newsletter thing – it’s very bizarre down there. If you want it to still kinda come out of the footer like that, I would make the gray area come from the bottom on the right side instead of the left, increase it to 2/3 of the width of the content area, and then make sure it’s very clear how to sign up and it’s as close to the top of the page as possible.
– When you hover over the left side things – I’m getting a "side to side" mouse icon. Not critical, just thought it was weird. I kept trying to click and drag, but it only works when you just click it. So you might consider trying replace that double arrow thing with just a hand pointer.
– The menu sort of runs together because the spacing is so close together. One quick solution would just to slip a "|" character between each item. That would give the sense of partition.
– The logo I think is too grainy, especially for the words under the salon name to show up properly. The lower words are very fuzzy.
I found it kind of odd that each page has it’s own massive background image. The problem is that to fix the logo, you’ll need to re-cut all the images. And even doing so still forces anyone who visits the site to load 200k+ each time they switch the page. It may not be a big deal as long as people who use broadband.
Ideally, you might want the header to be one image, and the content area to another, or some of the static elements to be part of a body background image. And then the individual pages would have their own pictures just embedded with the text. This would help search engines a little too since you can use Alt tags on them. And it gives you a greater sense of control over the images if you ever need to change them. But the problem is you’d redesign the whole div structure.
Okay, criticisms/complaints about the current site. Not a fan of left-justified websites – strikes me as old-school. Different color/palette for each section also strikes me as old school. Homepage is kinda dark overall and muted – meh (where is that ladies’ nose? Fades to nothing!). On the secondary pages, a little miffed that I cannot click on your logo to take me home. I’d like the the main nav to give me a visual clue as to where I am on the website. I don’t get the side pop-outs – completely lost on me (don’t expect anyone to read vertically). The title meta tags are not accurate with the content of the pages, which is an easy fix. No favicon.
These are just my observations. It wouldn’t take too much to modify the current design to make it more contemporary – don’t need to redesign everything. Good luck!
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".