Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Please suggest a book for PHP

• # December 11, 2010 at 2:45 pm

My knowledge of PHP is starting level. Please suggest a book for learning PHP.

# December 12, 2010 at 1:27 am

You may not immediately want to look for a book depending on how you learn. The way I learned coding was by doing. I had read 2-3 books and just couldn’t grasp abstract concept without practicality being forced upon me.

So what I did was began researching how the framework functioned. Then I started looking at existing code and figuring out how it applied to my knowledge of the framework. And then I created a series of projected I wanted to copy and wrote all of the code.

Just my 2 cents :)

# December 12, 2010 at 4:40 am

@JoshWhite …. which framework did you use?

# December 12, 2010 at 3:43 pm

there’s Php & MySql development by Luke Welling but it’s a bit dated (2008)
    Apress has just released a new version of Php & mysql from novice to professional.
    You could also check out the Php Live course at sitepoint. Actually the videos are available on the sitepoint youtube channel for free.

# December 13, 2010 at 1:01 am

mostly javascript and php.

# December 14, 2010 at 5:35 pm

@PaulDeWouters …. thanks for suggesting sitepoint videos….i’ll go through them

# March 16, 2011 at 11:03 pm

I’ve been going through PHP Solutions: Dynamic Web Design Made Easy by David Powers. It’s a second edition for PHP5. I feel like I’ve been learning a lot, and have had to stop and re-work some of my existing sites using the techniques he teaches.

Occasionally I’ve been concerned with examples and code he builds – he doesn’t cover all the safety checks you could use in validating forms, for example, and sometimes doesn’t even mention concerns like that. But overall, it’s been a fantastic learning tool, and probably will stay on my shelf as a reference for a long time.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".