Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Our Web Design Blog/newsletter…curious what you guys think?

• # April 25, 2011 at 11:43 am

The blog is mostly for our clients but I’m curious as one web designer to others, what you guys think about the information, especially about the cost of web design, and if you agree?

http://goodchee.com/newsletter/

Thanks in advance for any feedback! :)

# April 25, 2011 at 6:49 pm

it is a very clean looking and professional looking site. I like it.

# April 25, 2011 at 7:18 pm

I like the concept and I like the content a lot.

My main question is that are you getting any positive feedback from people on this type of content? I’m not seeing any comments being left, and I have been wondering if this is best done via a blog-esk format or like a monthly email campaign (or just a monthly email that just links to the post??).

As to the pricing – that’s always a tough one as you probably have experienced. It lines up pretty close to what I/we charge. I’ve always struggled with dealing with people who mainly price shop, and providing a solution that’s sub $2,500 for a really quality product. I think for the most part, those price shoppers will ALWAYS be capable of finding a cheaper solution.

Catering to price shoppers hurts everyone because those people generally end up low balling everyone until they find someone’s cousin who can do the same job for $250 and then boast about how cheap it was. And they got exactly what they paid for :)

# May 3, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Good question Josh. This is actually a newsletter that is sent out through email, but we figured we’d get more traction out of it by putting it on the website as well, just in case people see it.

Good to know that the pricing is in line, though. We were hesistant in putting this information out there because we want to ensure that we’re being fair to the industry as a whole.

And I agree, if they are shopping on purely price point…well, then they simply have inverted priorities for their business, I think. Gotta pay to play! :)

# May 3, 2011 at 2:17 pm

I’m not sure if its Jenica or Lars that runs your CSS-Tricks account, maybe a combo of the two? But just wanted to say again that I love the redesign of the site – it looks fantastic.

I think the newsletter is a great idea, especially if its directed towards potential customers you can really market your words. I think the ‘How much should a website cost?’ article is a great one for prospective customers to read, and will certainly help weed out the ones that you don’t want to work with anyways.

# May 9, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Thanks so much Doc! The account is just me (Lars).

Glad you guys think its a good idea and that the information is accurate. We’re excited about where this is going for future newsletters.

# May 30, 2011 at 12:29 pm

Since the reception has been great on this, we’ve given it a huge facelift and now loop the posts to the homepage. It’s become a more fleshed out section now, more akin to a blog (although we don’t want to call it that).

What do you guys think?

http://goodchee.com/newsletter/

# May 30, 2011 at 1:03 pm

I am also guilty of this sometimes, but the titles of the posts should link to the posts.

# May 30, 2011 at 8:07 pm

Good call, Doc…that wasn’t intentional and they now link (including the homepage). Good lookin’ out!

# May 31, 2011 at 9:00 am

Nice looking cool sleek simple but i think you should improve footer section and also tags categories and resources portion not looking v.good it should better than it is.

# May 31, 2011 at 12:08 pm

I actually quite like that it isn’t as styled as everything else. Perhaps the Categories could be put into a proper list, but I like the tags and Resources as they are, personally.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".