Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript How-to write efficent JS Constructors (module pattern/prototype)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Giu Tae Kim
    Participant

Hi. I really need information about the correct way to write JavaScript Constructors. The goal is to develop the logic behind a couple of UI components for a personal project.

For example. I need to setup a Slider, and I want to call the slider like this:

// Create frontpage Slider
    var front_slider = new pluginName(HTMLDOMobject,{options});

Ok, until now I have created this stuff calling some function with the “new” tag:

// Slider Constructor
    function pluginName(element,options) {

// get other elements
       // events for elements
       // functions related to events
       // ... more logic

}

OK. This works. But there is something that I really can’t get… why all others .js developers follow totally different ways to manage constructors. I have the strong feeling that my way of managing constructors is totally wrong.

For example, I noticed that in general they wrap code inside an anonymous IIFE function, and in some point of the function they make an object return. Also I noticed the strong use of the prototype Object, and object literals for a lot of stuff. I’ve heard a lot about module patterns and inheritance but I can’t get how to implement that stuff in a practical way. Here I have and example of javascript plugins I see nowadays:

(function(){

var pluginName = function() {
          ... stuff
       };

pluginName.prototype = {
          ... methods
       };

return pluginName;

})();

I really want to master JS. I really want to understand the way to create efficent constructors, using prototype and a good plugin structure. I have search for javascript plugin boilerplates and templates but the only things I found were very confussing codes. Like this one: https://gist.github.com/cferdinandi/ece94569aefcffa5f7fa

Please if you can give me a hand, info or some examples… I really aprecciate. Thanks!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.