Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Feedback on a design

• # December 16, 2012 at 5:18 am

@TheInfection – thanks, I think I will add a subtle box shadow at some stage of development, I will also be using jQuery for the transitions on the links for the extended browser support, although if a user who has a non-supported browser then it’s not like they’re going to experience something totally different, it’s just going to go to the solid colour on hover a bit quicker.

@jurotek – thanks for the input but i think I’ll leave my nav as it is now :)

@joshuanhibbert – thanks for the detailed feedback. I was using the inset box-shadow on the navigation hover also on the previous design so the picture would flow nicely but now it doesn’t I can see what you mean :) it will be a jQuery slider using a plugin for wp anyway, I just left it there for some structure.

I know about the page title that will be getting changed, haha, +1 for noticing though ;)

Regarding the gradient, it’s the first time I’ve used it in this way, I kind of like it but maybe it’s just a preference thing :)

Yeah I should add some more padding here and there to balance out the page. I’ll get to that definitly.

No the footer doesn’t need to be as ‘in your face’ like the navigation. I will look into seeing what colour goes good :) and thanks!

# December 16, 2012 at 5:48 am

@Watson90 Yeah, the gradient is 100% preference. And you know how the saying goes; you can’t please everyone!

# December 16, 2012 at 7:06 am

@joshuanhibbert, why wouldn’t you want to differentiate between navigation tab of active (viewed page) such as changing background color and bold font and change cursor to default and tell user, hey you are already on the page this tab belongs to so there’s no point to be clicking on that tab and treat this tab as other tab which takes you to another page. I’have seen it done and find it very helpful to user such as myself. There are tons of websites out there which don’t do neither and it frustrates the hell out of me.

# December 16, 2012 at 7:08 am

I will be adding current page styling to the tabs, but I’ll just be using the `.current-page-item` class to do it in WordPress :)

# December 16, 2012 at 4:45 pm

@jurotek My apologies! Yes, you are right; I completely missed the fact that you were talking about the current page. Doh!

# December 16, 2012 at 5:19 pm

I know this isn’t design related but your charset tag is incorrect. You have `` when it should be ``

# December 16, 2012 at 5:28 pm

@stevencrader, whether you use closing tags or not is entirely up to you if your doctype is HTML5. So both versions are correct. You can even leave it out if you set it in .htaccess

# December 16, 2012 at 5:30 pm

@jurotek It isn’t the closing that I was pointing out. It is the dash. There is no `meta-charset` tag. Guess I should have explained a bit more.

# December 16, 2012 at 5:34 pm

@joshuanhibbert, no need to apologize bro, your knowledge of stuff is miles and miles ahead of what I know. Maybe with the cursor I went little too far. But my thinking about it is this. If the tab is already active, why make user believe that it’s clickable.

# December 16, 2012 at 5:37 pm

@stevencrader, right, I completely overlooked it :(

# December 16, 2012 at 5:43 pm

@jurotek No, I don’t think you went to far at all; I agree with you regarding the cursor.

# December 17, 2012 at 12:23 am

Looks awesome.

# December 17, 2012 at 4:17 am

Hi @Watson90,

I think the design is pretty nice.

I’ve only got one comment on this design: if you remove the logo of the website, this design can be used on every other website. If I were you, I would rethink the whole design. Sorry too say this, but despite the logo nothing is about basketball: no real basketball colors (too soft), too fancy picture borders etc. These guys are suppose to be the “tuff” guys, so the world they’re!

After seeing your capabilities (because the design looks quite nice) I’m sure you can make a fabulous website for your brother-in-law’s basketball team! Keep on the good work!

# December 17, 2012 at 4:18 am

Hi guys

I just want to thank you all for the feedback!

@stevencrader – thanks for that! I don’t know why I put the `-` in there, but that’s been sorted now :)

@joshuanhibbert – I have added a bit of spacing within the content of the page and also removed the 20px of padding I had at the bottom, also.

Regarding the footer, I have changed it to a more subtle colour, I think it looks better than being so bright like the navigation bar.

I also changed the font-weight of the heading tags from the default bold to `normal`.

Thanks everyone, hopefully I will start converting this to a WordPress theme soon so i will keep ya’ll updated :)

# December 17, 2012 at 4:22 am

@Vermass

Thanks for your feedback.

> Sorry too say this, but despite the logo nothing is about basketball: no real basketball colors (too soft)

I don’t really know how this is true because I have used many different shades of Orange, I can’t just throw in the only colour of a Basketball, I need to use quite a varied colour palette.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".