Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Em units for page layout

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    jhallmusic

hey everyone. I thought I’d see if I can get people’s opinions on using the "em" unit for page layout, image sizing, etc…

I started reading about using ems to set font-size, and then got into some articles about using it to size and position everything on a page. This allows easy resizing on PDAs, for the visually impaired, etc.

Here’s an article:

http://www.bigbaer.com/css_tutorials/css.scale.image.html.tutorial.htm

I guess I can see it all depending on what site your building and what audience you’re focusing on. But there is a large group of people starting to use Blackberries and iPhones to browse sites online, and this would theoretically allow a site to look exactly the same on a PDA as it does on a full screen browser…

So, what do you think?

I think stuff like this comes down to personal opinion unless theres a very specific effect you’re looking for. I personally dont like using ems bc i just dont trust them. I like knowing my px will be the size of the px i say.

for fonts i do use em’s

koewnet

Personally I prefer using em’s on font-sizes, paddings and margins only. The combination of fixed/fluid is easy to control and gives users room enough to resize the font-size. Still, for Iphones and mobile devices, I’d like to just design plain sites. Easy, without heavy colour-mixtures, and easy to navigate. I’ve done some surfing on my old cellphone, and I got to say alot of sites you should be able to use on a cellphone’s browser, doesn’t work at all.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.