Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other CSS Trick V10 – New Design discussion

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Senff
    Participant

@ChristopherBurton Yep, that’s what I meant. It does indicate that, but I liked it when I would go to the Forum page and see in just a glance away how many threads were updated. Now I have to scan a little more to see. No biggie though! I do miss the markup buttons though. Was super easy to select code and then hit that button that would add PRE and CODE to it.

(Also, seems I can’t edit previous posts though. And first time I posted here since the redesign, I hit “POST COMMENT”, the form went blank but I wouldn’t see my post until I refreshed the page.)

chrisburton
    Participant

I notified him of that also. I do wish the functionality of the forums stayed the same. Let’s hope some of that is brought back.

TheDoc

Not to put words in @chriscoyier’s mouth, but we *should* be seeing some further updates to the forum once the main site gets settled down.

I am glad to see the redesign live. I just need time to take it all in. It is often said that if you love a design at first sight, it is probably pedestrian and will date quickly (if it isn’t already dated). I need a bit of time kick the tires and live with it before I can decide if it is different good or different bad.

I can say this now, it demonstrates a ton of work and thought as well as being very original. I’ll circle back in a few days to profess my love.

crgeary

@Sneff Chris is going to send us over the details sometime today (https://css-tricks.com/design-v10/#comment-189782)

And I love the new design, it’s big and bold! Not too sure why there is no footer on the forum (this page). Kinda confused about that, and I’m also not a massive fan of the orange box behind the logo. But I reckon that will grow on me.

Last thing, what happened to all the twitter/facebook buttons at the end of each post? I’ve no problem copy/pasting the url to twitter but I reckon it’s going to piss some people off.

sellenrick

This is not one of my favorite redesigns, maybe it will grow on me. I feel like there are a lot of clashing styles. It feels as if he tried to use as many “CSS-Tricks” as possible, even if they didn’t go well together. That being said, the name of the site is CSS-Tricks so maybe it works?

As with any change, things will take some getting used to.

I quite like it overall, and I assume, as @TheDoc said, that there will be ongoing changes.

I would like to see the contrast increased in the forums; the font-size could use a boost too. Also, as @Senff said above, the ‘new comment’ indicator has no contrast at all. I was also a big user of the ‘mark all read’ button which seems to have disappeared!

Most avatars need to be re-uploaded as bigger images; they must look pretty bad on retina displays :p

The ‘edit’ button seems to have no function, also, posting a comment doesn’t give any positive feedback, and requires a page refresh?

TheDoc

@joshuanhibbert – yup, those are all marked on github.

Further thoughts:

– Totally agree with @HugoGiraudel regarding the post comment counter.
    – The Treehouse advert in the header doesn’t look like an ad at all. Instead, it looks like descriptive text regarding CSS-Tricks.com.
    – I just have to mention contrast again, there are some areas in which it is very low.
    – Any plans on increasing the font-size for larger viewports?

Overall I think this design is an improvement, sorry for only pointing out the issues!

Hmmm, a lot of my formatting (and some symbols) are being stripped out of my comments.

@TheDoc Do you think it would be appropriate for me to list design quirks as issues on the GitHub repo?

TheDoc

Not sure! Could always fire him a tweet first, see if that’s what he wants it for.

Vermaas
    Participant

I miss the frog… :( It’s a style I haven’t seen before, looks like a mix and I’m not blown away by it.. I love the old own, sorry Chris..

WHOA! I just left a comment on the post about the design, and it is publicly showing my email. @chriscoyier this is very undesirable, please fix it ASAP!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.