Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Become more employable Web Developer

• # April 24, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Hi,

honestly pure coding does not have to save you anymore when it comes to job interview. Competition is huge. Every kid can do a website these days.

I turned 28 that means nearing my 30 years real soon :)

Question is easy:

**What do you think is useful and/or necessary to know apart core coding skills ?**

# April 24, 2013 at 4:06 pm

And I do not mean here things like Photoshop, I mean stuff like, soft skills, project management, etc.

Whatever you can think of.
    Share your experience with me and others.

===

If anyone is interested in networking, add me: http://www.linkedin.com/in/krsiakdaniel

# April 24, 2013 at 4:23 pm

“Every kid can do a website these days.”

But can “every kid” build a very good website these days?
    And I say the answer is a resounding “No”.

If you believe you have the skills in html/css/jquery that is of a very good level, but are still having trouble getting work, then it’s probably your sales skills that need brushing up. I don’t know of a high level web guy who does not have plenty of work on.

If you’re not at that level skillwise, then address that.

# April 24, 2013 at 5:20 pm

> Competition is huge. Every kid can do a website these days.

I’m going to be a little harsh here: I call bullshit. Can any of us easily name an industry worth going into that isn’t competitive? Even dying mediums, like Yellow Pages, has 3 to 4 options in just about every city. Competition is HUGE in that industry, and it’s still losing huge dollars and market share year over year.

I think the problem here is you single out “websites”. If the only thing a designer can bring to the table is just putting up a website, then yeah, competition is pretty fierce.

You kind of touched on it a little bit – people who are in high demand, regardless of their industry or skillset, are people who bring real solutions to the table. The kinds of people who walk through tough problems with a client, or can consult on what works and what doesn’t, who can make smart recommendations based on real world experience and so on.

There are not any kids that can bring anything near that to the table. And that’s exactly what business owners, marketing directors, corporate strategists and CEO’s are looking for. Not just some dude who wants a little website. Serious people who are serious about the success and growth of their business. From their perspective, they’ve got to wade through too many damn kids making crappy websites to get to someone of real substance.

# April 24, 2013 at 6:41 pm

I was maybe too general in that statement “with kids” and “only” simple websites :)
    Of course no kid will be hired to take care of corporate CRM, web app or anything more complex.

What I wanted to say is, that by my opinion you cannot hard code “by hand” till the end of the career, like when being 40, 50 y.o.

I guess as @JoshWhite mentions, one should perhaps focus more on team leading, managing things after “ehhm” learning enough technical skills to get the job done.

# April 24, 2013 at 7:34 pm

You can if you’re good enough, and if it’s what you enjoy. I know frontend developers who are * cough cough * in their 40s, and making very good money happily hand coding away. But they are very good at what they do, demand in the $100/hour ballpark quite easily.

I think most people would be happy doing something that earns them $3,000 for a 30 hour week! ;)

Make no mistake, there is a distinct lack of high quality front end developers in the industry, with an over abundance of middling ones.

# April 25, 2013 at 12:27 am

> I guess as @JoshWhite mentions, one should perhaps focus more on team leading, managing things after “ehhm” learning enough technical skills to get the job done.

Yeah that’s definitely where I was focusing. Most anyone can learn how to do any job that’s out there. Most employers get that, or at least any GOOD employers do. The big stuff really lies in being able to be a dynamic employee that can provide additional value. Someone who can leverage those other skills will always be in demand.

# April 25, 2013 at 1:01 pm

As JoshWhite said, being a dynamic employee, someone who brings more to the table than just coding (common sense and having the gumption to speak up when your team is about to make a misstep in the wrong direction is a big draw) is the key.

Attitude and customer relations is another—if you’re easy to get along with and diplomatic enough to say no to bad ideas, and back it up with an better alternative, they’ll not only enjoy working with you, but will see that you’ll save them money.

One rule I stick to is to under-promise and over-deliver. If I’m looking at a one-week project under ideal circumstances and nothing getting in the way (other projects, delays, etc.), I’ll say, yes, I can do that, expect a two-week turnaround. Ten days later, I’m able to deliver a product (early) with a bit more polish and more time time to test.

Happy customers mean recommendations, whether you’re a freelancer, a contractor, or a full-time employee.

And for the love of all things good in this world, have some knowledge of etiquette. Be a good employee—you’d be surprised at how many aren’t. Be professional, be generous, be thoughtful of your coworkers, and be proactive and forward-thinking.

Go that extra mile; whether in preparing tailored documentation proactively for customers you know need the helping hand; commenting your code so the next developer that looks at it knows what the hell they’re looking at; or learning to explain what you’re doing to your clients/superiors (who may not know code at all) in a way that they can understand (concise, to the point, but highlighting the points you’re proud of). That shows them that you know what you’re doing and that you’re working towards making the site or application that you’re developing just that much better, for your employer and for whoever follows you in the development stages.

And know how to do a bit of what everyone on your team does, so you can integrate better. If you’re building the front-end of a ColdFusion application, learn a bit of ColdFusion, so you know the limitations and the capabilities. This helps in handing off your stage of the application, as you can then be that much more help in integrating the front-end with the back-end. Don’t be afraid to ask questions and learn on the job, either.

Most employers—good ones, at least—value an employee that shows that they can always learn new things.

# April 25, 2013 at 1:30 pm

@JoshBlackwood … thumbs up, I would not say it better :)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".