Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other When a client decides to change everything… last minute.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    G3Creative

I feel for you. Once you discuss the extra costs involved you will probably find that they will go back to the original version.

Jerm993

yeah, I’ve submitted some options to her, waiting on a reply for now.

Hi Jerm,

Just wanted to add a few things, as it seems like you are a young, aspiring designer/developer.

To become serious, you need contracts. It may be a subject you want to shy away from, but business is business. If you don’t realize that now, you will eventually, most commonly by making a major mistake and paying for it with time/money. Also, as you grow older and move out of your parents house and start your life as an adult, you will realize more then ever that time = money. Your responsibilities as an adult now rely on you bringing in income, this is a fact of life, and this fact must be protected with a contract with your work.

When things are settled from the get go, it becomes less akward later on. Also, it establishes more trust with a client, on both sides. If a client is uneasy about signing something, you don’t want that client really. There isn’t really an “if” about it, because as long as your contract is drafted from one of the many fine examples( I saw a link on a previous post from AIGA) and doesn’t contain anything bogus, noone should hesitate to sign it. If they are, that is a sure sign that they are a client that is probably a) cheap, b) was going to take you for a run, maybe unintentionally. c) not worth your time.

The question about this will then commonly arise, “Then how do I get a decent portfolio started?” A portfolio does not need to contain links/sites/images from client work. Why not start a blog about a subject you like? Style it up, practice functionality on it, etc. Chances are, you’ll spend a month working on it, launch it proudly, add it to your portfolio, then a month later after learning more photoshop and development skills, you’ll want to change it/update it to reflect your new skills. Why are you happy to jump in to this? Becauese it’s your project, and you are at the helm, not taking orders from someone else on it’s direction. If you apply that to a client’s site, they will either a) not want any changes, b) want it done exactly how they want it, therefore you may not be able to put to practice your new found skills.

Then at the end of the day, you have not only your personal/company site which showcases your portfolio, but also a few side projects that you have full control over to show off your skills, and who knows? Maybe it’ll become popular, a la Chris’ Css-Tricks.

I know that seems like a lot, but it’s important to know these sorts of things. While the design and development part seems awesome, if you plan to be any sort of freelancer, you just aren’t some rad designer rakin’ in dough. You’re essentially a business owner, providing a service to clients. If you aren’t prepared, the consequences can be pretty big. The more prepared and present yourself in a professional fashion, the more confidence you instill in your clients and then it justifies the value of your service. A professional design service.

On a side note, Hi TheDoc, long time.

– MileHighDesigner (can’t retrieve/change password properly, thus the new name)

Jerm993

Thanks, Mile

I actually do have a creation of my own, and I’m glad that this has happened on my first client-project as I’ve learned right off the bat that i need to work out a contract before i start. As for my site, I combined my portfolio and blog here: http://jeremycarlsten.com and I’m also working on some premium wordpress themes for themeforest but none are finnished.

TheDoc

@milehighdesigner1 working on a solution!

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.