Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other UX/UI/Web Design course covering Sketch & Affinity but not Adobe CS? Reply To: UX/UI/Web Design course covering Sketch & Affinity but not Adobe CS?

nkrisc
Participant

The tool isn’t important. I don’t know the nature of the bootcamp, maybe it is in fact more focused on the tools, but really a good way to get introduced to UX/UI design would probably be with a piece of paper and pencil. When I look around my office, I see about as many hand sketches on the wall as I do mockups printed out. Learning the process and principles of UX design is independent of the tools.

However, if they are going to teach a tool, Sketch and Affinity seem like good choice if only because they’re much more readily accessible by more people. If I recall, Sketch goes for about $99 while Affinity goes for $59 (or so). That’s not a large upfront investment as opposed to purchasing Creative Suite or Creative Cloud or whatever racket Adobe is offering now.

Your employability as a UX/UI designer will likely have little to do with what tools you can use, as opposed to your ability to demonstrate good design practices and thinking. An employer can always teach you to use a tool. They’re less likely to want to teach you the foundations of design.