Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Installing Dropbox on Centos 6 Reply To: Installing Dropbox on Centos 6

chrisburton
Participant

Just an FYI, I’m reading the tutorial before I actually do it. For reasons like this:

If you scroll down to the Local Machine part, the author suggests to create a local repo….

** Local Machine
Let’s create our local repository. You should change the path and name to whichever you choose. If you are on a VPS, just type:

exit

And create your repo:

cd /my/workspace
mkdir project && cd project
git init

But the thing is, I already have one setup when I started using Tower.

If you scroll further down from that it talks about committing changes with messages…

Let’s assume that we have some great work ready in this folder. We should do the usual steps of adding the files and commit with a message:

git add .
git commit -m "My project is ready"

Just to remember, the dot after ‘git add’ means you are adding all files to stage. After ‘git commit’ we have ‘-m’ which means we will type a message. To complete, we just ‘push’ everything to the server. We use the ‘live’ alias that we used when setting the remote.

git push live master
Counting objects: 7, done.Delta compression using up to 4 threads.Compressing objects: 100% (7/7), done.Writing objects: 100% (7/7), 10.56 KiB, done.Total 7 (delta 0), reused 0 (delta 0)To ssh://[email protected]/var/repo/site.git* [new branch]      master -> master

Here we tell Git to push to the ‘live’ remote on the ‘master’ branch. To understand more about branches and how to use it you can read this tutorial.

Grr! Exactly what I wanted to stay away from on the command line. That’s what I have the Tower app for.