What is inside The Lodge?
There are over 190 videos in The Lodge! They are in two huge complete series.
Building a Mobile-First WordPress-Powered Artists Website: this series is about creating my friend Jeff Campana's website from scratch. We use the "mobile first" design philosophy, first making the design for small screens and then later expanding the design to suit larger screens. The website is powered by WordPress. We employ some advanced WordPress features to make the site work the best it can for Jeff. See Table of Contents.
The Big v10 Redesign Project: This series is a complete walk-through of redesigning a website from scratch. All the way from the planning stages through visual design, through implementation, and workflow and deployment. What website? This very website! Everything you see on CSS-Tricks was meticulously considered as we went from "version 9" of this site to "version 10". We even talk and work with other industry professionals to make it the best it can be. See Table of Contents.
Who teaches these courses?
Your teacher in The Lodge is Chris Coyier. Chris is the founder of CSS-Tricks - which has been going strong as a web design and development community site since 2007. He has created countless WordPress sites as well as co-authored a book on WordPress.
What will I learn from these videos?
You’ll learn what real world modern web design and development is like. You’ll see each line of code get written (the how). Perhaps just as importantly, you’ll hear the thinking behind the choices being made in real time (the why). You can see everything come together and make a whole.
To be a bit more specific:
- Working in Adobe Photoshop to create the look and feel of a website.
- Learning how to turn mockups into real HTML and CSS.
- Using HTML5 technology to enhance semantics and usability.
- Using CSS3 technology for great lightweight visual effects.
- Using jQuery to add interactivity and solve complex problems.
- Using WordPress as a blog as well as a robust CMS.
- Working with the best CSS preprocessor: Sass & Compass
- Using a slew of software and tools to make developing faster and easier.
- Critical thinking through design problems.
- Exactly how this site makes money through advertising and how it’s integrated.
- And that only scratches the surface! There is way more in this course than can be explained in a few bullet points.
How about a graphic to sum that all up:
What do I get as a member?
As a member of any level, you’ll get full anytime access to the entire library of videos. This is OVER 190 VIDEOS or NEARLY 50 HOURS of web design and development action. Videos are broken up into bits typically 10-15 minutes long. That makes it easy for you to jump around if you please to watch just the parts you may be most interested in.
If you go for the Bear level, in addition to full access to the videos, you’ll also get all the original code written in the video, Photoshop files, and other source material.