Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Working locally with WP => Best way to move?

• # March 22, 2013 at 1:20 am

So I work locally for my wordpress designs. I’ve been looking up the best way to move to servers but it seems all the answers I see are 2 years old or older.

I want to move my new portfolio site from my locally hosted to my web host. I need all my database and link structures to be changed though. I know I need to export from wordpress for all my posts and pages, but I also know that in my sql database things have to change. I was reading about how a find and replace isnt the best idea because there are strings of code that are linked to the old site but not specifically localhost/websiteurl

So my question is: what is the best method? I need all my plugins, custom post types, posts, images, and pages. So everything I have built I need working ha.

# March 22, 2013 at 1:35 am

@TheDoc has suggested a specific plugin that will change all that database data for you. It’s actually quite simple. I’ll try to find it really quick.

# March 22, 2013 at 1:55 am

I recently did this for a wordpress site of my own – I used this: http://interconnectit.com/products/search-and-replace-for-wordpress-databases/

It works, trust me. As always – backup backup backup juuust in case something goes awry.

Ryan

# March 22, 2013 at 3:04 am

Plugin works great it seems. Now the problem is where is all my plugin data and all my custom post types and posts! heh

# March 22, 2013 at 3:19 am

Guess for now I can re list everything, however I’d like in the future to know an easier way.

What I need: All custom post types, plug-in data, and uploads? I think that is all the stuff that didnt quite work

# March 22, 2013 at 3:39 am

@Jeager Did you export the database properly?

# March 22, 2013 at 3:56 am

Thought so. from php admin – exported the right database. Maybe I missed something? I’ll have to check later.

# March 22, 2013 at 10:29 am

The way I do it:

1) Make a Backup of all the stuff I’m moving that I can potentially break.

2) Use the export tool in WP or SQL dump to create a copy of the DB. WP’s default works fine as long as you aren’t using custom tables.

3) Create copies of my “wp-content” and “plugins” folders.

4) Import DB and upload content, plugins, and theme edits.

5) Use Xenu and the “Search and Replace” plugin to nail down any annoying absolute URL’s I forgot about while building.

As far as plugins that handle a good deal of this for you, I’ve heard good things about Backup Buddy and Duplicator but haven’t tried them myself.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".