Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Working locally with WP => Best way to move?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jeager

So I work locally for my wordpress designs. I’ve been looking up the best way to move to servers but it seems all the answers I see are 2 years old or older.

I want to move my new portfolio site from my locally hosted to my web host. I need all my database and link structures to be changed though. I know I need to export from wordpress for all my posts and pages, but I also know that in my sql database things have to change. I was reading about how a find and replace isnt the best idea because there are strings of code that are linked to the old site but not specifically localhost/websiteurl

So my question is: what is the best method? I need all my plugins, custom post types, posts, images, and pages. So everything I have built I need working ha.

chrisburton
    Participant

@TheDoc has suggested a specific plugin that will change all that database data for you. It’s actually quite simple. I’ll try to find it really quick.

chrisburton
    Participant
    schortfilms

I recently did this for a wordpress site of my own – I used this: http://interconnectit.com/products/search-and-replace-for-wordpress-databases/

It works, trust me. As always – backup backup backup juuust in case something goes awry.

Ryan

Jeager

Plugin works great it seems. Now the problem is where is all my plugin data and all my custom post types and posts! heh

Jeager

Guess for now I can re list everything, however I’d like in the future to know an easier way.

What I need: All custom post types, plug-in data, and uploads? I think that is all the stuff that didnt quite work

chrisburton
    Participant

@Jeager Did you export the database properly?

Jeager

Thought so. from php admin – exported the right database. Maybe I missed something? I’ll have to check later.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.