Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

[WordPress] SEO Optimizing with tags

• # February 17, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Afternoon everyone, I am looking to optimize my framework for SEO but I’ve been reading a lot of different opinions about what is best.

Here’s how it’s generally laid out so far (on homepage):

Website title

Post title

the post meta - author, date, comments, etc

post content

Post title

post content

and then when on a single post view you swap out the website title with an h2 and then the post titles become h3

I refuse to believe that this is how it should be done, so I would love some feedback on good SEO blog structure from the wonderful CSS-Tricks community!

# February 17, 2012 at 7:58 pm

If you already got a lot of different opinions…prepare to get some more! ;) Basically, it’s because no one really knows how SEO works exactly, it’s one of the things where I’ve seen people disagree over ever since SEO was invented.

So my personal opinion is that if you’re going to use HTML5 tags, you could do it like this:

Website title

Post title

post content

Post title

post content

But, you could also do it like this:

Website title

Post title

post content

Post title

post content

….and there’s dozens of other ways, that people sometimes agree on and often disagree on.

I think that when it comes to SEO, there are three basic rules that you have to follow, everything else is up to you:

1. make sure your site has valid markup code.
    2. content is king; the better/more relevant content you have, the more a search engine will notice it.
    3. focus on your human audience, not search engines. If a search engine sees you optimized it in such a way that it’s clearly not benefiting the human audience, it will do more harm than good.

Again, I’m sure people will disagree with my code and rules, but I really think it’s because it’s different for everyone. It’s really more about personal opinion/preference than about what’s written in stone.

# February 18, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Good response! I appreciate your opinion, and would love more from everyone else!

You are correct though, there is no ONE way to do SEO, but I’d really like to try and get a better grasp on it.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".