Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other What FREE Editor do you recommend?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    JustinBeaird

Just getting back into scripting after about 6 or more years at the time I always used Notepad and Notepad++

So what lightweight FREE editor with syntax highlighting do you recommend

A portable one I can put on a usb stick would be nice but not necessary

Sublime Text 2

hero

WebMatrix

@joshuanhibbert
    – that looks pretty cool. I will have to check that one out.

Anujak
    Participant

Netbeans- It’s a one Smart IDE that i Use

chrisburton
    Participant

Great article about text-editors. http://css-plus.com/2012/02/my-journey-to-the-perfect-text-editor

//cc: @jamy_za

TheDoc

Sublime Text 2

While it is ‘free’ in the sense that you have an unlimited trial, I recommend purchasing a license if you really like it!

dfogge
    Participant

i’ve never really liked a free text editor. my favorite is sublime text 2, which costs $59 but you can use it for free with an occasional nag screen.

before that i was in love with coda, but it feels a bit out of date to me now.

mauryaratan

Sublime Text 2 is now winning all the hearts of developers, give it a try you will surely like it.

JustinBeaird
    JustinBeaird

@andy_unleash would be nice but money is tight right now

dfogge
    Participant

@JustinBeaird, your second round of questions would probably be better off as a new thread, but since you asked nicely i would recommend you avoid w3schools as much as possible. a lot of their info is out of date or just plain wrong (see: w3fools).

instead of that bookmark Mozilla’s webdev docs, and save yourself a lot of headaches.

as for up to date books on web development, imo you should try to read everything that ABookApart publishes.

i also just recently got Aaron Gustafson’s Adaptive Web Design, and its full of great info on the many ways to apply progressive enhancement to your work.

JustinBeaird

@dfogge @andy_unleash I created a new a new thread for my other question

https://css-tricks.com/forums/discussion/16815/best-up-to-date-web-programming-bookss

thank you for your suggestions

Vermaas
    Participant

I love Coda, because of the awesome options like svn and direct FTP acces, you could use the command line.

I prefer Coda above Sublime Text, because of those simple and very useful options and because the awesome UI. If you got a mac and some cash I would go for it ;)!

mailmevenkat

i use notepad++ . Its simply awesome.

scofield

Komodo Edit

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.