Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End What cms for this multi language site layout?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    osviweb

Hello all
    I may need a suggestion on what cms choose for this MULTILANGUAGE site layout (home page + 2 kind of inside pages).

I may need to keep control of cms updates (keeping the theme) , update the content boxes in every page and use a multilingual plugin.
    Seo for sure is important.
    I’ve contacted some psd code slicers for quotation and suggestion and someone say wordpress and someone say joomla.
    I’m not that sure on how in wp they think to manage the content boxes of the layout…

What may be your cms suggestion for such layout?
    [attachment=2]layout-lowres-protected.jpg[/attachment]
    Images attached (grey grid for copyright protection, non part of the design)
    [attachment=0]layout-lowres-protected3.jpg[/attachment][attachment=1]layout-lowres-protected2.jpg[/attachment]
    Thanks so much!

osviweb

Sorry guys maybe my ask for suggestion was not really good posted.

This site is going to be a cms based holiday rental website.

The site is going to be multi-language and seo it’s important.

The attached layout is the result of a design competition on 99design and was thought for wordpress even if I’m not sure that could be the best choice.

In particular I’m not sure about the performance of wp on multilanguage sites and with those kind of boxes as you see in the layout images (sorry for the covering gray grid). :roll:

In my joomla experience the modules could be duplicated to reproduce the same box object on an other page.
    I’m not sure if in wp it’s possible to do the same thing.

How do you see this layout better? In what cms?

About me:
    I write you from Italy and I’m starting Best Holiday in France, French Riviera.
    I’d like to use a cms because I hope that the site will grow with the business

JaredAM

Personally, I’d use Drupal. Excellent multilanguage support, very powerful, flexible, scalable, and with caching the performance is only limited by your host. It also has permissions for everything so if you want to have members you can define everything they can or cannot do on your site.

However, it’s not something that just works "out of the box" like joomla. You’d probably either have to spend a LOT of time coming up to speed on stuff (and then next year come up to speed on Drupal 7) or hire a developer.

Drupal can do the layout you want a couple of different ways:

1. Define a template with those block areas defined (then create the blocks)
    2. Use Panels which can create areas on a page for content

Panels would be the most flexible but it’s very user unfriendly. I think it hates me but it does what I want it to do.

In addition to the modules CCK (to define content types) and Views (to display the content in Panels), you’d also need a ton of other modules for basic site stuff and SEO. If you want comments, pingbacks, trackbacks, a wysiwyg, images, etc, those are all different modules. One of my basic sites (similar in function to out-of-the-box wordpress) required about 60 modules.

Drupal is powerful but you have to put ALL the pieces together. Drupal 7 (coming out next year) brought a lot of contributed modules into core so it should be a LOT more friendly. I’m looking forward to not needing 3 different modules to do image/thumbnail handling.

AshtonSanders
    Participant

If I had to do it, I would probably end up using WordPress (and getting the Bing Translator)… following the saying "when you have a hammer, everything is a nail."

But since I don’t have to do it, I’d probably have to recommend Drupal as well, and I’ll stress this of what Jared said:

"JaredAM" wrote:
    However, it’s not something that just works "out of the box" like joomla. You’d probably either have to spend a LOT of time coming up to speed on stuff (and then next year come up to speed on Drupal 7) or hire a developer.

@Jared
    : Welcome to the community, it’s nice to have someone who is familiar with something other than WordPress. ;)

osviweb

Thanks for your kind suggestions.
    I’m a Drupal user since few years and I’m very unsatisfied. Drupal tends tobe more a framework than a cms in my opinion. The bad thing is that if you need a framework it’s not enough. If you need a cms you’re stucked into modules which are often not compatible each other and not compatible with future updates of the cms. My actual site in Drupal has been done as state of the art site in Drupal 5.7 and fewer modules possible. Now it’s still not possible to update it because the modules (which are vital in such basic cms) have been left over or still not compatible with Drupal 6.
    So forget about it.

I had some experience with Joomla which I confirm it’s really out of the box. Plus I’m having the template done by one of the psd2theme professionals like markup4u.

Thing is that all these programmers are suggesting WordPress with qtranslate.I really don’t know if wp widgets are similar to joomla modules and can be re used and duplicated.

AshtonSanders What you mean when you say that to fit it in WP you may need an hammer? It looks wired as a design?

thank you so much for these comments
    appreciate :P

JaredAM

No love for Drupal? Just kidding, I totally understand. If you stick to some of the more popular modules, those will get updated and you won’t be left with orphan modules, but my advice to anyone starting a commercial project would be to wait a few months until Drupal 7 comes out, supposed to be a LOT slicker. I’m just not sure how slick the migration from D6 to D7 will be…

osviweb

I think that Drupal never had a very scalable approach. I think in this case WP did better.
    What’s the clue using a popular Cms if you MUST update it for security but you CANNOT because it’s not compatible with your previous site overall?
    You spend more time working constantly working on the cms than if you would manually xhtml code all the pages.

To have a framework I’d better use Plone than Drupal but what I need is an esay to update cms ;)

It’s not particularly easy and I did not find a site where a compared review of most popular platforms has been done.

expression engine is really that good or webdesign forum owners are affiliate so they talk good about it for that?

AshtonSanders
    Participant
    "osviweb" wrote:
    AshtonSanders What you mean when you say that to fit it in WP you may need an hammer? It looks wired as a design?

What I mean is that it is possible to make what you want in WordPress (just like it’s possible to make it from scratch). If you know WordPress very well, it’s easy to think you can do "anything" with WordPress… and to a degree you can. It is just sometimes much easier with another program (if you know that program).

synn

Drupal would be perfect for this as it support multiple languages. Also See if you can integrate Bablefish translator with it.

AshtonSanders
    Participant
    "osviweb" wrote:
    I think that Drupal never had a very scalable approach. I think in this case WP did better.

It’s true that you have to make sure your modules work well with your core, and each other after each update… esp since everything is a module… But Drupal is built to be huge. It’s got the functionality to do just about any large project. It can handle huge, multi-functional websites much better than WordPress.

"synn" wrote:
    Drupal would be perfect for this as it support multiple languages. Also See if you can integrate Bablefish translator with it.

Translations are never perfect. Most of the time they are pretty crappy… and obviously translated. If I had to guess, I would agree that Drupal has better language support… but it will never be an easy task to manage.

synn

Yes i agree that translations are not good and if the thread starter is moving from wordpress to drupal then will find it hard to manage.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.