Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Webkit messing up my coda slider

• # October 28, 2008 at 4:39 pm

So I followed the directions on this site: http://jqueryfordesigners.com/coda-slider-effect/

Everything works right in IE and firefox, but in safari and chrome, the last panel gets put at the bottom of the first one. If you look at it, you’ll see why it isn’t working right.

But the weird thing is, when you refresh the page, everything is fixed. And the problem can only be reproduced if you grab a fresh copy from the server, and not from the cache.

Does webkit grab js files in a different order from other browsers? What’s the deal?

# October 29, 2008 at 12:06 am

Can’t you just detect Safari and Chrome and redirect them to the Firefox/download site? :lol:

Sorry that I don’t have an answer but I wanted to thank you for posting the link. I’m very excited to see what looks like a very complete walkthrough on this. I’m about to start downloading files and playing with it myself.

This would be a great project for a screencast <hint hint>

# October 29, 2008 at 1:04 pm

Ok, so I’ve made a little discovery, but I haven’t found the solution yet.

I think this is related to a problem I was having in another thread where IE was reporting an error related to offsetWidth. Didn’t know what that was about.

But while I was trying to figure out this coda slider issue I opened up my web developer toolbar in firefox and looked at the javascript errors. There was one error located in my slider.js file that says :

ERROR: $panels[0] is undefined.

Then it references this line:
    $container.css(‘width’, $panels[0].offsetWidth * $panels.length);

Unfortunately, I barely know any jquery or javascript for that matter. Is there something wrong with my javascript, or my actual markup? The $panels[0] undefined error makes me think that I didn’t put something in my HTML and the javascript can’t find it and is throwing back an error.

What’s also interesting is it has to do with finding the total width of all the panels, which would probably relate to the webkit issue with the panels acting funny.

If anyone can give me a hint as to how to fix this, that would be awesome.

Thanks guys.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".