Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Url Bar Image?

• # November 13, 2008 at 2:28 pm

Hey everyone ?

How do you get a small image to appear in the url bar like most sites have?

like this :

[img]http://bluecone.co.uk/images/urlimg.png[/img]

# November 13, 2008 at 2:53 pm

This in your header

Code:

You can also use png and gifs animated if you like as well.

# November 13, 2008 at 5:02 pm

Thanks =]

# November 14, 2008 at 5:31 am

if you want all browsers to see it, you need to have a 16x16px image, ico preferably the icon must be called favicon.

I have a png version but that just does not work in IE too well, but I don’t mind, as I don’t think IE wants anyone making sites that look good (my opinion people, I am a FF fan)

I have 2 links to it:

Code:

if you use ico make sure you change what was png

some site say the favicon needs to be in the top level/root directory, some say you don’t, but I cover my bases and place it in root & images directory.

remember IE may (depending on version) need you to bookmark the site before the favicon is seen by the browser.

edit: remember this is to go in the <head> tag: <head><link …></head>

so when you view source from now on in you can see where the icon sits

# November 15, 2008 at 1:41 am

I’ve read, on a number of sites, that you can leave the declaration out entirely as long as you stick the favicon.ico (or.gif, .jpg, etc) in the root directory. I’ve never tested it though.

Personally, I stick to .ico format, stick it in the root directory and declare it. That way, it should work in every situation.

# November 15, 2008 at 5:37 am

Yes indeed if you put the favicon.ico in the directory all the pages would have the Fav Icon on them. I’m sure it’s supported by all the browsers because that was actually the first method it was used… Maybe

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".