Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Updating a site I done 2 years ago

• # January 1, 2009 at 12:17 pm

Hey everyone,

I am planning on updating a site I first done a good few years back, I have done various versions of the site, the first was all tables and just html, then I got into CSS and I updated the site to what it is now.

That was 2 years ago and this is the site as it is: http://www.woskf.co.uk

however, I believe it is time to update this site, and I was thinking along the lines of this mock:
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.kelly627 … index.html

the only problem with that new look is, it does not seems to render correctly in IE6 or 7, it renders fine in FF, IE8, chrome, safari & opera.

what do you guys think? is it ok? is it bland? is there something else you think I should do with the site?

what would you guys do with the site?

# January 1, 2009 at 5:17 pm

To be honest with you, it doesn’t seem like too much of an improvement. It just seems to be lacking punch and wow. I’m not sure I really have any suggestions, I’d almost just scrap it and start over.

After doing a quick search, there doesn’t seem to be too many Martial Art websites that look good, but I think this one has promise:
    http://www.kungfuonline.com/ (at least the splash page looks cool)

# January 2, 2009 at 5:33 am
    "TheDoc" wrote:
    To be honest with you, it doesn’t seem like too much of an improvement. It just seems to be lacking punch and wow. I’m not sure I really have any suggestions, I’d almost just scrap it and start over.

After doing a quick search, there doesn’t seem to be too many Martial Art websites that look good, but I think this one has promise:
    http://www.kungfuonline.com/ (at least the splash page looks cool)

I know, most are bland or try to make themselves sound ferocious in some way or another.

I was looking for mainly a cleaner look, maybe not the layout as such, as it is a bit of a big site, but I think it is too black.

just looking for ideas at the moment, and the bamboo look, kind of makes it a bit more relaxing I think.

# January 2, 2009 at 8:08 am

The CSS Zen Garden has many asian influenced motifs, including the main entry and I go there often for inspiration.

# January 3, 2009 at 4:07 am

Personally, I don’t like header "logos" that are just typed out in the code. I see there is a small logo to the left, and its just so small and differently colored that it doesn’t seem to even go with the site, further, the lowercase abbreviation doesn’t help it either.

In fact, if that wasn’t their official logo, I would redesign the logo, and have it match the color scheme of the website.

Everything below the header looks nice.. and the subtle dragon on the content is much nicer then the contrasting goldred dragons on the other site… it looked nice until you had to read something over it, then it was annoying.

Some may disagree, but I think displaying a design is as important as content. So, displaying content is as important as design. That’s deep man, deep. :P

# January 3, 2009 at 6:14 am
    "milehighdesigner" wrote:
    Personally, I don’t like header "logos" that are just typed out in the code. I see there is a small logo to the left, and its just so small and differently colored that it doesn’t seem to even go with the site, further, the lowercase abbreviation doesn’t help it either.

In fact, if that wasn’t their official logo, I would redesign the logo, and have it match the color scheme of the website.

Everything below the header looks nice.. and the subtle dragon on the content is much nicer then the contrasting goldred dragons on the other site… it looked nice until you had to read something over it, then it was annoying.

Some may disagree, but I think displaying a design is as important as content. So, displaying content is as important as design. That’s deep man, deep. :P

that is our logo, but I don’t have to use it, and I could add it somewhere else, like bottom left of content pane, and opaque it, or on the footer.

I am looking for inspiration though about how to change things. the background dragon becomes a bamboo image in ie6, I am undecided on either.

I know that the site needs to be easily navigated, so was going to keep it kind of the same look (as in usability) but needs a dramatic make over /skin.

I want a header but am unsure as to what to do in this area.

in the main content area, I will have a header of the page that the person is on, as well as highlight the button for that page.

but basically I am stuck: I have had colour wise, a coffee coloured site, a blue site (both not as big and not as good as the black site) then I done the black site, unfortunately I never stored these sites, now I will store all old sites, as a good chunk of our site was plagerised (word for word and my bad is english so thats how I found out), but hey it was flattering.

I feel the black is an aggresive looking site, and I kind of want a more serene look to it, if you know what I mean.
    easy on the eye, easy to navigate, easy to use, so people want to come back.

I am also thinking of adding wordpress to it, but need the instructor to give go ahead and release funds for that.

ik

# January 3, 2009 at 2:55 pm

Backing up old sites is great, I do the same, and on my hosting server. Just make a folder called "old sites" and put em in there, done, easy. :) If nothing else, it’s neat to go back after a couple versions and say "whoa, I did that?"

Like I said, I think the site is fine below the header. I wouldn’t change the height of the header, just take off everything inside and make a centered image like… Hmm. I would look up something "kung fu” related on a stock photo site, use that, then have the bamboo in there somehow, but at 50% opacity… Then use a strong font that spreads the title over 2 lines… like..

West of Scotland
    KUNG FU

With maybe a long squigly thing behind it at 70% opacity, and have the 2 bamboo at 50% opacity on the sides but still insdie the "west of scotland"

Just an idea and how i’d first approach it. Also, here’s an idea… I love to mess around in Photoshop… What you can create with that program is only limited by your imagination. That being said, sometimes I get some neat design ideas just when I’m messing around. Try things you normally wouldn’t think would look good, and it may surprise you. Of course, you might make something that isn’t good at all, but thats fine. Just scratch it and start new.

# January 4, 2009 at 1:37 pm
    Backing up old sites is great, I do the same, and on my hosting server. Just make a folder called "old sites" and put em in there, done, easy. :) If nothing else, it’s neat to go back after a couple versions and say "whoa, I did that?"

Like I said, I think the site is fine below the header. I wouldn’t change the height of the header, just take off everything inside and make a centered image like… Hmm. I would look up something "kung fu” related on a stock photo site, use that, then have the bamboo in there somehow, but at 50% opacity… Then use a strong font that spreads the title over 2 lines… like..

West of Scotland
    KUNG FU

With maybe a long squigly thing behind it at 70% opacity, and have the 2 bamboo at 50% opacity on the sides but still insdie the "west of scotland"

Just an idea and how i’d first approach it. Also, here’s an idea… I love to mess around in Photoshop… What you can create with that program is only limited by your imagination. That being said, sometimes I get some neat design ideas just when I’m messing around. Try things you normally wouldn’t think would look good, and it may surprise you. Of course, you might make something that isn’t good at all, but thats fine. Just scratch it and start new.

Well I played about and I came up with a bamboo forest image and added a a white opaqe layer, then added our name, but just kept it on one line.

I have now updated the site completely, as of this minute, so it is up and running. the site is now hosted on another site, not my free ISP site, and it has different CSS for ie6.

cheers, for you guys having a look and helping with ideas

# January 4, 2009 at 5:51 pm

Much nicer… can I make one last suggestion? Maybe add a layer mask to the bamboo and have it fade out using a radial gradient(blackwhite of course) into the tan so it blends in better and isn’t so drastic…

just my opinion for a final finishing touch. =) Looks much nicer though IMO.. 10 times better then old site too.

# January 5, 2009 at 11:54 am
    Much nicer… can I make one last suggestion? Maybe add a layer mask to the bamboo and have it fade out using a radial gradient(blackwhite of course) into the tan so it blends in better and isn’t so drastic…

just my opinion for a final finishing touch. =) Looks much nicer though IMO.. 10 times better then old site too.

i am jopeless at gimp or photoshop, I will try and get the sides blended, that seems easy enough, but not sure about the mask thing you are talking about…

cheers, I was getting sick of the black site.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".