Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

try to make website without need of javascript

• # December 20, 2008 at 12:39 am

try to make website without need of javascript (as much as possible) is a best practice or not ?

Rob
    # December 20, 2008 at 5:29 am

That completly depends on your needs. Its possible to make websites without JS I do it all the time. There is no best practice really, either have some JavaScript, because you need it or don’t have any, because you don’t need it. :)

# December 20, 2008 at 6:42 am

if i can do same thing With Server side script(php,asp, etc) and Javascript, then what should be choosen?

Rob
    # December 20, 2008 at 7:45 am
    "jitendra" wrote:
    if i can do same thing With Server side script(php,asp, etc) and Javascript, then what should be choosen?

It all depends again on what you are trying to do… the question needs to be more specific :)

I would probably go with the server side scripting, there is no point in complicating things :)

# December 20, 2008 at 9:03 am

If what you are trying to do can be done server side, I’d wager to say that’s almost always better*. But JavaScript can do things PHP cannot and vice versa. If you need to fade something away on your site, JavaScript is the only thing that can do that. If you need to write something to a database, a server-side language is the only thing that can do that. I’d say it’s like apples to oranges, but there is some crossover too.

* One exception to go client-side with something is to reduce server burden, if you are having problems with that.

# December 22, 2008 at 1:35 am

I know server side processing is slow and client-side is fast but server side processing in not depend or user browsers and settings.

and server side processing is more secure too as i read on many articles.

My question was

Quote:
    if i can do same thing With Server side script(php,asp, etc) and JavaScript, then what should be chosen?

if i make a site more server processing dependent which not depends if user is JavaScript enabled or disabled is this a better decision ?

Some people keeps JavaScript turned off in any browser and Firefox user are using Extension called NO Script(Which block JavaScript by default) and Flashblock(which blocks embed flash content by default), but server side processing cannot be blocked by any browser. and many mobile browser is not JavaScript compatible as i heard.

So how much i need to considered about JavaScript turned off or blocked user and Mobile phones browser on the way to making website?

# December 30, 2008 at 5:22 am

Hello

I must admit I don’t really get the question..

In my oppinion it’s not about "is this a better way than this.."
    It’s two separate things..
    As You say..
    Javascript is client side and php, perl, etc. is server side.

It’s not many, if any, things that really can be done with both….

eg.
    You can access a database with server side scripts.. you can’t do that with Javascript.
    You can change the src for an image on the client side with javascript, you can’t do
    that with server side scripts unless you reload the page.
    and so on..

Take Google.com ..
    That can totally be done without client side scripting.. but NOT without server side.
    (Kind of the same problem Santa Clause has every year =) )
    But WITH client side scripts aswell you can do helpful things to help the user as he types..
    "lookup-possible-questions-as-user-types" for example.

So, unless I totally missunderstood this question.. it’s not a really a question about "this or that".
    It totally depends on what you are trying to do.

Happy holidays

Regards
    Jocke

# December 30, 2008 at 1:45 pm
    "jitendra" wrote:
    Some people keeps JavaScript turned off in any browser and Firefox user are using Extension called NO Script(Which block JavaScript by default) and Flashblock(which blocks embed flash content by default), but server side processing cannot be blocked by any browser. and many mobile browser is not JavaScript compatible as i heard.

So how much i need to considered about JavaScript turned off or blocked user and Mobile phones browser on the way to making website?

I tend to think that if you are doing things that are essential for your website to work, use PHP or another server-side language, just in case Javascript is turned off. For other things that are not essential, use Javascript. Then, if Javascript is turned off, at least it won’t effect the majority of the user experience.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".