Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

[Solved] IE7 woes. nav bar hides behind main content area

• # February 25, 2010 at 7:18 am

Hi

I am having this problem only in IE7 on the index page of my site as it has a different css sheet to the other pages.

the web address is http://www.marketsquared.nickimeharg.com

massive apologies if i am being really dumb here, but i have tried various fixes, and nothing seems to be working.
    I need to get this fixed before uploading the site to its real domain for my client.

Any help would be very gratefully recieved.

Thanks
    Nicki

# February 25, 2010 at 8:31 am

For IE7 add float: left; to <a href="index.html" class="home"> you will need to give it a class so all a tags don’t float left.

# February 25, 2010 at 9:28 am

Hi

thanks so much for your feedback. i think i have done what you advised correctly. but in the browser tester, there is no change. i dont know if this is because it takes a while to test the new code if it has tested the old.

Would you be able to check and see if i have made (another) stupid mistake?

thanks so much for your help.

http://www.marketsquared.nickimeharg.com

# February 25, 2010 at 9:54 am

I probably didn’t explain myself clearly enough, trying to do too many things at once. In IE7 the navbar is floated to the right but because the img for the index.html is not floated, in IE7 the float is appearing below the img. What you need to do is add to whatever else you have in the tag the following:

Code:
    a img {
    float: left;
    }

This will have no ill effect on standards compliant browsers.

If however you have other "a img tags" elsewhere they will also float left and depending on your layout that could be a problem, so to avoid that I suggested giving that particular "a tag" a class of home. So on that particular tag in the html you would write this
    <a href="index.html" class="home"> and in the CSS

Code:
    a.home {
    float: left;
    }
    # February 28, 2010 at 5:22 am

Thanks so much. that sorted it out. Brilliant.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".