Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript select parent but not its children

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    cparliaros

I have a list of items like this:

Fight club
    Life of Pi

and I want to put all the elements in an array and loop through them but just the items with the class `element` without their children.

elements = $(“#content”).children(‘.element’);
    console.log(searchElements[0]’);

but it gives the right length of array but its index contains the element with its children and I can’t `addClass` for example, gives me an error. It drives me crazy….

CrocoDillon
    Participant

I don’t get it. With its children? I think it’s more the issue that `$(…)[0]` gives you a node object instead of a jQuery object. Try `$(…).eq(0)` instead.

cparliaros

@CrocoDillon check this simple [jsFiddle](http://jsfiddle.net/cparliaros/p4uzf/2/ “”) and the comments. I can select an element with a click function but I want also to be able to select elements using they keyboard keys. In this example I try to select just the first element pressing any key.

note: in order for keydown function to work result window should be active by clicking anywhere in it. Also check the logs on the console.

CrocoDillon
    Participant

`searchElements.eq(0).addClass(‘selected’);` or `$(searchElements[0]).addClass(‘selected’);`, I need sleep. If you need any more help I’ll be back tomorrow!

cparliaros

no worries, with your latest comment I understood what I was doing wrong. Time for me to sleep also. Thanks

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.