Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Resized window, background stops repeating

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    brianatlarge

This is one of the weirdest issues I’ve ever had.

http://brianfarris.org/newsite

Basically if you resize the window really wide, it does what it’s supposed to do by repeating all the background as wide as the window. However, if you resize the window to a width smaller than around 960px, you get the horizontal scroll bar, and if you scroll over to the right, the background just stops.

Can anyone spot what’s happening? I don’t have a static width set on any of the elements that have the repeating background. I’ve also tried validating to see if there was a div that wasn’t closed and everything seems correct. This issue occurs on Firefox, Safari, and IE.

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

The ol’ classic disappearing background. The reason is that those DIV’s default to 100% wide. 100% wide in this context means as wide as the browser window. So when the browser window is narrower, that div is only as wide as it, and so scrolling over further beyond that width means no background. It looks like it’s that resume graphic that is pushed over that is causing it. Might wanna set a min width on those div’s that goes out at least as far as that resume graphic.

brianatlarge

Yep. Setting a min-width on those pesky divs fixed the problem. That’s really weird. Never had that problem before.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.